Rounded edges with 3/4 MDF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On rounded edges, what do I need to do to to achieved something like this ?

rounded.jpg

Do I need to double up on the top panel to prevent any weakness as the rounded edge would become very thin ?

if no additional top layer is needed, do I need to reinforce the corner from the inside ?

Last edited:
how about using a router with a round bit?

I just did that and I really can't tell you how beautifully MDF routes. I couldn't believe that cutting the full 1/2" round-off would be effortless and only take one pass.

You will test the depth setting on scrap until you see it's "really" round. To do that, you start setting the "tiny" point on the outside of the bit so it's just a little above <too deep> above the "table" of the router. When you make a test cut, it will have a little "shelf" on the side of the cut that points up through the router.

The quickest way to get an excellent depth setting is to use a small (6") ruler. Set your test depth and then drag the ruler across the bottom of the router from the outside to the center and see if it "hitches" on the outside of the router bit. I look at this with a lighted magnifier and you really can see how far up/down you need to change the depth.

How else would you do this?

P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.