MDF, GLUE and nails - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2011, 12:49 PM   #31
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess if there was a test, hard to say. I’ve built so many speakers; some of the duds must go. I’ve had to break some apart with a hammers, it’s not easy!!
You have to admit the gorilla glue does fill gaps, which would be good for beginners.
I do use regular tight bond, yes folks take your time, let the glue soak in, use a small brush. I glued two ½ MDF boards end to end the other day with yellow glue, gave it a good test shake (I’m 250lb) it didn’t break.
Old 13th September 2011, 04:33 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

If you're glueing double 3/4 inch plywood= 11/2 inch of ''glue surface''-
if (like me) you're glueing triple 3/4 inch plywood= 21/4 inch ''glue surface''
that's a lot of glue....I won't live to see the day that they'll break-up ...
Old 13th September 2011, 04:47 PM   #33
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Thirded re: pre-applying (I thin it) wood glue then applying an unthinned bead.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:08 PM   #34
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I like gorilla glue, its fast messy and fun (and fills the imperfect bits), I was surprised by the results of the test as I thought it would be one of the strongest.
Of course most speakers wont see the strain the joints were put under for the tests.
Once used some 3M double sided fam tape to fix a temporary baffle for some OB experiments and when I tried to part the pieces the wood (25mm MDF) gave in first!
Old 17th January 2013, 02:11 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
I use an 18 gauge nail gun. These nails are coated with a glue. The heat from friction when fired into the wood melts the glue so the nails slide in, then re-hardens making a very tight bond.
Where can I find this type of nail?

Cheers!
Old 17th January 2013, 02:19 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I going to get some small MDF cabinets Powder Coated and was told that if I use brad nails that it will swell and raise the surface even if the nail is deep and filled with wood filler...

I'm veneering a few of same MDF cabinets and would like to know if anyone has used brad nails and later seen the veneer develop a bump from the nail? Maybe you used brad nails and didn't see a bump later which better beacuse I have some made with brad nails already and plan to veneer them..

Thanks, Joel
Old 17th January 2013, 02:32 PM   #37
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
Where can I find this type of nail?

Cheers!
Lowe's, home Depot, Ace Hardware...

You need a nail gun to drive these.
Old 17th January 2013, 02:37 PM   #38
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
I going to get some small MDF cabinets Powder Coated and was told that if I use brad nails that it will swell and raise the surface even if the nail is deep and filled with wood filler...

I'm veneering a few of same MDF cabinets and would like to know if anyone has used brad nails and later seen the veneer develop a bump from the nail? Maybe you used brad nails and didn't see a bump later which better beacuse I have some made with brad nails already and plan to veneer them..

Thanks, Joel
Powder coating, as I understand it, can only be done on conductive metal. You must be using another process.

I have no idea about the swelling issue. That sounds strange, but MDF, when wet, will swell. So, perhaps the paint you are talking about might do that.

The only way a nail will produce a bump in the veneer is if it works its way out.

I use Baltic Birch, so I do not have a reference for nails popping out.
Old 17th January 2013, 04:26 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Don't know what process is going to be used to finish your cabinets, Joel, but the only situation I can perceive is that the finish is water based (low VOC?). The mdf will swell (even if slightly), and supposedly 'pull' the brad with it, which will stay 'out' when the mdf 'shrinks'. That's the only issue I can see with veneer as well .. so best to use solvent based adhesives.
Old 17th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #40
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
would like to know if anyone has used brad nails and later seen the veneer develop a bump from the nail?
Never had that problem.
The minute amount of water contained in a water based finishing "paint" is not enough to cause that, by a long way.
Or simply glueing or painting with latex or similar would have even worse effect ... yet nothing like that happens.

You'd need to leave them in the rain, then dry in the scorching Sun for something like that happening.

Hide this!Advertise here!