MDF, GLUE and nails

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
MDF can be powder coated and and infrared light is used.. This process is used alot for many applications and It's growing in popularity for office furniture and cabinet doors
The faciility I'm looking into is well experienced so I'll trust what they have to say about the swelling.. plasic Powder is used for metal so I think it would be the same for mdf..

I use brad nails all of time and haven't seen glue coated nails or if they are coated then I wasnt aware of it..

Thanks, Joel

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Never had that problem.
The minute amount of water contained in a water based finishing "paint" is not enough to cause that, by a long way.
Or simply glueing or painting with latex or similar would have even worse effect ... yet nothing like that happens.

You'd need to leave them in the rain, then dry in the scorching Sun for something like that happening.

Yeh, I think your right so its probably related to the heat thats used on the mdf to cure the powder..

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Never had that problem.
The minute amount of water contained in a water based finishing "paint" is not enough to cause that, by a long way.
Or simply glueing or painting with latex or similar would have even worse effect ... yet nothing like that happens.

Primer coat on mdf should never be latex paint because of the swelling. Use shellac, or oil based paint, first. After, you can slop on as much latex as you want ... :)

A couple of thoughts here. First the nails with a coating on them are typically vinyl coatings and are put there to help a nail slide into wood as it melts from the friction of the nail entering the wood and then re-hardens as soon as the nail stops moving. I personally never would use a nail that stays in the cabinet after assembly as I have seen and heard them buzz in pro-audio enclosures, a real problem if that happens. It might only be a problem with plywood and not MDF but I just never wanted to find out later. I have used screws in cabinet builds that had other than 90 degree angles, such as a trapezoidal cabinet design. If the cabinet is square use bar clamps they are your best solution. A temporary method of clamping could be to use a strap and clamp system as used in packaging to hold something while transported. If you use screws in mdf do not use the screws that are typically used for drywall as they are fine thread and do not bite very deeply. I always use very coarse threaded screws with deep threads for mdf. Watch out for any water based adhesives or finishes with wood. I don't care how little water is in the formula it will swell the mdf and will certainly make life much harder on a veneer finish as it will swell the wood grain and then you will have to sand the first coat before adding any additional finish coats. If you are using screws make sure that they are far enough below the surface not to print through into the veneer or paint coating you use. I would use auto body filler to cover the screws myself if I was using that method. I only use two part polyurethane finishes on my wood veneer finishes. I have used lacquer in the past and the problem is cracking of the finish over time, seen it to many times. Shellac is going to add color to any finish you are using it on and sometimes will remain sticky if you do not thin the shellack with enough alcohol to keep that from happening. If you don't have access to a good table saw then the circular saw and a straight edge works great. I also have a panel saw, takes a lot less room than a table saw but you do need to make sure that the saw is set up square to begin with. The cheaper versions are often not of welded construction so they can be knocked down but they take much more care to get and keep square in use. Watch out if using mdf and you are after a piano black finish. The glue lines will often show and the only solution to that is to seal the inside of the enclosure with the same paint or a good sealer before painting as you will see every glue line otherwise. If not at first the lines will show up the first time the humidity changes and the cabinet absorbs water or dries out. It is a real problem to deal with but by sealing the internal surfaces of the enclosure and any cutouts you can avoid this problem.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I use shaellac as seal coat or transistion coat between finishes or grain filler. so it goes shellac/epoxy or other grain fillers/shellac/finish coat( multiple choices)

On the brad nailing.. I wont do it again and was trying to have speed for some small cabs but not crazy about fasteners in cabinets.. next I try straps like Kindhornman suggests..

Cheers

Primer coat on mdf should never be latex paint because of the swelling.
I never talked of "primers" ;)
Nor had any swelling. :confused:
I have been painting my for_rental PA cabinets flat black with Sherwin Williams Loxon (or the earlier brand they used) for over 40 years now with excellent results.
Sherwin Williams
All other PA rental companies do the same on the low cost stuff.
Why?
Strong, waterproof, dries fast and without smell, very easy to touch up.
The cabinets "go to work", and if any come back scratched, dirty or whatever, 5 minutes with a brush leaves them as good as new.
Not showroom stuff but daily use workhorses.
Of course, to each his own :)

JMFahey,
very true that flat black will hide most sins, but most people aren't going to use a flat black paint for their home systems, especially if they have a wife or girlfriend to deal with! For PA I am all with you, especially for rental equipment. But to say that the wood doesn't swell is just not going to be true, you just don't notice the effect with flat black. I also doubt very much that you are using any mdf in any rental equipment, first time someone drops a cabinet on a corner it would be a hot mess, so you must be using plywood for any PA cabinets. Ever had a nail buzz in a plywood enclosure such as a bass bin?

Ps. never saw a design for the tin can headphone amp. I am still interested in having my daughter do the project.

Steven

Agree that flat black hides lots of sins ;)
Yes, I have lots of painted "good chipboard" and MDF cabinets for rental work.
Like everybody else here.
In USA, *many* homes are made out of wood, so plywood, 2"x4", drywall, etc. are real cheap, because of the huge production and competition.
Plywood costs little more than MDF .
Here, cost difference is 3:1 , plus chipboard/MDF are available in 6' by 12' or 15' sizes; plywood in smaller unefficient 5'x5' or 8' .
Why? Don't know, but it explains the preference.
And if a speaker cabinet crumbles , it gets replaced for peanuts.

As of the designs, I haven't set up yet to make the PCBs.
When the amp is actually mounted and working , I'll publish it.
Not a big fan of simulations, much prefer "real flesh" stuff. ;)
Good luck. :)

JM,
With all the rainforest in South America I guess we just assume that you have a thriving wood industry. Yes the plywood does come in off sizes, especially the European Baltic birch which so many people seem to prefer. I have seen the larger sizes of mdf sheets but typically here they are special order only and not standard sized which is 4'x8' in size. As far as price the cost difference between the mdf and the plywood is not even close to one to one. it is at least 2 to 1 here in favor of the mdf. I can't say when the last time I have seen any mdf here in pro-audio, it just isn't done because of the problems of breakage compared to plywood. But I will say that some of the plywood that some manufacturers use I wouldn't touch at all, pure junk that will peel between plies and would make for a crappy cabinet no matter who built them. Construction grade can be used fine to reinforce a house but not something to use in a speaker enclosure.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Kinderhornman, if your shellac is remaining sticky, it is old. Best to buy shellac flakes to mix with alcohol. Just be sure to let it sit to de-wax before you use it. The wax will sink to the bottom of the jar as a thick, ivory-coloured, slime letting you pour the shellac off the top.
You're correct that it can change the colour of the wood, though usually in a positive way. However, there are different grades of the flakes available, ranging from very light to darker orange (Shellacs - Lee Valley Tools), which let you control, to a good degree, the colour cast you'll get.

Well, in the big distribution we got late for any kind of forests :( , so all we got was a ton of flat grassland, perfect for quality crops and raising grass fed cattle, with mild summers and winters .
Thinking twice, not a bad deal ;)
But since we lack quality hardwoods (which everybody around seems to have) we import construction grade plywood and OSB from Brazil ... and pay for it Baltic Birch prices.
While our land is very good for fast growth trees.
Only problem, it's soft wood only suitable for crates, fruit packing cases, MDF/chipboard or paper paste.
Oh well.

I have used thin plywood (3/8" to 1/2"):eek: for some customers, *only* because of the weight savings, if they travel by plane a lot.
In those cases, preferred covering was laminating fiberglass reinforced polyester straight over the wood.
Not pretty looking, but Pros don't need to impress friends and family, these are well worn and loved worktools.
Laminating 4" to 6" strips on the inside along all angles adds a lot of strength but little weight.
Oh well.

prairieboy,
You are very correct about the shellac and I have used it both ways, coming already in liquid form and also as flakes. I haven't used it much on wood, a few times is all, but I used it often in the aerospace tooling realm as a sealer for plaster patterns. I have never heard about the wax trick, I will have to remember that from now on. I never thought that it would be from a wax in the shellac. I have found though that thinner coats are much better than a very high concentration of shellac to alcohol ratio. Perhaps we were just precipitating the wax out by using a low percentage of shellac to alcohol ratio.

FM,
You can send some of that grass feed beef this way if you don't mind.......

You are very correct that a thin layer of fiberglass and polyester resin would significantly strengthen the enclosures. I guess you could laminate a film onto the enclosures but wouldn't be a strong as the fiberglass so it would just be cosmetic. The biggest problem with most plywood is just from the mishandling of the wood and storage, So many times you will find the sheets are so warped that they are just a pain to work with. Most wood yards just stack the sheets with a fork-lift and have the stringers the sheets are laying on to far apart and the sheets just get ruined. I have even seen this with some of the Baltic birch sheets that come out of Russia. Beautiful wood ruined by lazy habits.

On the brad nailing.. I wont do it again and was trying to have speed for some small cabs but not crazy about fasteners in cabinets..
Brad nails are fine if used onn the inside of the cabs.
Ever had a nail buzz in a plywood enclosure such as a bass bin?
No.
A temporary method of clamping could be to use a strap and clamp system
Straps are good, so is 'tape and roll' with cleats if the box is not square. I don't have full pics here at the office but if I remember when I get home... It's a great method if you are careful.
If you use screws
These seems old fashioned to me. If you don't have the necessary tools, fine but otherwise, how long do you want your project to take?
The glue lines will often show
Keep your wood inside for 2 weeks before starting.
FM,
Beautiful wood ruined by lazy habits.
Lazy habits? I call them lazy a******s. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 114
Project Subwoofer for 15 inch driver

[1]Glue 2 baffles together, i can put weights here
[2]install brace Do i still need to nails/screw the braces ?
[3]Install top cover with pva glue

[a]what kind of nails or screw do i need ?
how long should they be ? Diameter ?
[c]if the lenght of one side is 18 inches , how many nails/screws would this require ?
[d]Would i just need a couple of nails to hold the panels while the glue dries ?

1 - I would definitely hold in place, until the glue has set, with a nail or two

2 - see 1

3 - I did not. I secure my top with angle iron on the sides and top, with holes for bolts. A wide rubber gasket went between the top and cover. Bolt the cover to the 'top' and there ya go.

a - wood screws? I used finishing nails - to hold until the glue set - pre-drill the brace to allow easier nailing. I hammered down the nails until they were flush. I was afraid that common nails might vibrate [unless really flush, which is not always easy to do} and add undue sound.

b - just long enough to go thru the brace and penetrate the side without coming out. Get a variety of lengths.

c - if the brace is to be nailed flat against the side? I would nail every 6 inches or so. Two nails per.

d - I would

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.