diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Construction Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   Stripped screw hole in plastic. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/191258-stripped-screw-hole-plastic.html)

GeneZ 21st June 2011 03:57 AM

Stripped screw hole in plastic.

Suggestions, or know-how, please.

I have a stripped hole in a plastic composite speaker cabinet. When working with plastic how to tighten up the hole?

Thanks, Gene

wrenchone 21st June 2011 04:02 AM

Put in a threaded metal insert or a T-nut, available on Ebay or at a good hardware store.

GeneZ 21st June 2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrenchone (Post 2613562)
Put in a threaded metal insert or a T-nut, available on Ebay or at a good hardware store.

Thanks.. but sorry...

This is for a self tapping type screw. Pointed tip. Metal into plastic.

wrenchone 21st June 2011 04:23 AM

Well, it sounds like you're going to have to adapt the hole to some other type screw, if it's stripped out. Self-tapping screws are a dodgy prospect at best, especially with soft materials.

Conrad Hoffman 21st June 2011 04:24 AM

Inject it full of epoxy. Cure. Drill a new pilot hole and run the self-tapping screw in. Many people drill pilot holes too small in hopes of getting a better fit. Usually a mistake as the plastic just cracks.

Darkstar52 21st June 2011 04:41 AM

Plastic Welding

You could weld it. It's quick and easy, but the tool is a bit pricey for a one off job. Every auto body shop has them. What could they charge for a five min. job ? Best of luck
Howie

sofaspud 21st June 2011 04:48 AM

First thing I'd try is a piece of flat toothpick stuck into the stripped hole. Ease the old screw in; you'll only have a bigger problem if you let the plastic crack.

stratus46 21st June 2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneZ (Post 2613580)
Thanks.. but sorry...

This is for a self tapping type screw. Pointed tip. Metal into plastic.

His T-nut or threaded insert idea is a good one. Of course you'd have to abandon the self tapping screw for a machine screw. Alternatively you could fill the hole with Devcon plastic welder and re-drill it the next day and continue to use the self tapper and possibly strip it out again, The machine screw IS better.

G

Cal Weldon 28th June 2011 09:01 PM

What's wrong with Conrad's idea in post 5? sounds pretty achievable and easy on the execution side to me.

Just remember to put a piece of tape on the inside to prevent it from dripping out the hole.

digits 29th June 2011 04:02 AM

My dad used to fill any plastic holes with a mixture of superglue and bicarb of soda (I think that was the second part, should be easy to look up), it is so strong you can attach a watch strap with it when the pin hole breakes off....and it doesn't eat the plastic like the glue would do on its own.