Stripped screw hole in plastic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"It will set like concrete (and about the same colour) in less than 1/5th of a second. "

Not if you are using it as filler it won't.

Maybe it will set properly, maybe you can drill though it and maybe the screw will bite nicely. Around these parts epoxy is readily available and I would imagine in Gene's neck of the woods also. Not sure why you are pushing an unproven product that might end up causing more harm than good.

I'd think almost any of these techniques would work, but we don't know anything about the diameter, depth or application. Is this a screw that holds a driver in, or something else? Does it ever have to be removed?

At work I've used the cyanoacrylate glue with spray on accelerator. One shot and it sets up in a second like a stone. I think it was called "Tac-Pac" or something like that. The bicarb is probably similar.

One might think so. But, not the case at all, according to the article that started this conversation in regards to it.

Look again..

Glueing plastic with super glue + Bicarb of Soda - Woodwork Forums
O.K. - I've read it twice now and nowhere does it state that he uses it for screw-hole repair. I rebuild pianos and am extremely familiar with CA glue but no I've never combined it with bi-carb but there other fillers you can buy for gap filling applications. I've used them many times and would not trust them for holding screws but since this is hardly a critical application I don't think it would hurt to try. It's just not something I would do.

O.K. - I've read it twice now and nowhere does it state that he uses it for screw-hole repair. I rebuild pianos and am extremely familiar with CA glue but no I've never combined it with bi-carb but there other fillers you can buy for gap filling applications. I've used them many times and would not trust them for holding screws but since this is hardly a critical application I don't think it would hurt to try. It's just not something I would do.

No screw hole mentioned, but that where a screw hole repair search led me. Guess it may not work. May work. Hmmm...

Gene, you asked the question 11 days ago, shouldn't it be done by now? We're only filling a hole for goodness sakes. :)

I was ready to let it die when it had the first time. Seven days later starts up again. The thread from then on took on a life of its own.

I fixed it. But, not as expected. When I opened up the box to see where the hole is? It sits the end of a raised round column. Like a short fat pencil with no lead on the end. I simply put a small clamp around the end where the hole was and snugged it up just a little. Voila! Finito! The screw set tight.

I figured the way this thread was going we all might learn new things just the same. Maybe something that may come in handy for a more typical situation. It looked like everyone was having fun. So, I just left it be. I figured I may learn a better way myself for next time if a more typical situation arises.

I figured we're a screwy bunch here, so why tell em I fixed it and ruin their fun?
35.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.