Stripped screw hole in plastic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks.. but sorry...

This is for a self tapping type screw. Pointed tip. Metal into plastic.

His T-nut or threaded insert idea is a good one. Of course you'd have to abandon the self tapping screw for a machine screw. Alternatively you could fill the hole with Devcon plastic welder and re-drill it the next day and continue to use the self tapper and possibly strip it out again, The machine screw IS better.

My dad used to fill any plastic holes with a mixture of superglue and bicarb of soda (I think that was the second part, should be easy to look up), it is so strong you can attach a watch strap with it when the pin hole breakes off....and it doesn't eat the plastic like the glue would do on its own.

My dad used to fill any plastic holes with a mixture of superglue and bicarb of soda (I think that was the second part, should be easy to look up), it is so strong you can attach a watch strap with it when the pin hole breakes off....and it doesn't eat the plastic like the glue would do on its own.

Well, look what that just led to! Excellent tip!

Glueing plastic with super glue + Bicarb of Soda - Woodwork Forums
Here is my tip. Set up your joint however you can by clamping etc until you get an almost perfect fit. Dribble in some superglue and then reach for a pinch of Mum's BiCarb of Soda and sprinkle in onto the superglue. It will set like concrete (and about the same colour) in less than 1/5th of a second. It gets hot - dammed hot so don't have any superglue on your fingers when you reach for the bicarb.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.