Stripped screw hole in plastic. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2011, 05:29 AM   #21
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneZ View Post

"It will set like concrete (and about the same colour) in less than 1/5th of a second. "
Not if you are using it as filler it won't.

Maybe it will set properly, maybe you can drill though it and maybe the screw will bite nicely. Around these parts epoxy is readily available and I would imagine in Gene's neck of the woods also. Not sure why you are pushing an unproven product that might end up causing more harm than good.
Old 1st July 2011, 10:51 AM   #22
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think the super glue/soda mix is going to hold a screw very well. Any chance you could glue a small block of wood behind the hole? Pre-drill the hole and wax the screw. Apply your glue and clamp with the screw.
Old 1st July 2011, 03:30 PM   #23
GeneZ is offline GeneZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
I don't think the super glue/soda mix is going to hold a screw very well.
One might think so. But, not the case at all, according to the article that started this conversation in regards to it.

Look again..

Glueing plastic with super glue + Bicarb of Soda - Woodwork Forums

Old 1st July 2011, 04:31 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

My dad used it to fix cheap plastic watches, the bit where the strap pins goes into would sometimes break off, then he'd make a new little wing and drill a little hole and its good as new.
Old 1st July 2011, 04:39 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I'd think almost any of these techniques would work, but we don't know anything about the diameter, depth or application. Is this a screw that holds a driver in, or something else? Does it ever have to be removed?

At work I've used the cyanoacrylate glue with spray on accelerator. One shot and it sets up in a second like a stone. I think it was called "Tac-Pac" or something like that. The bicarb is probably similar.
Old 1st July 2011, 10:58 PM   #26
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneZ View Post
One might think so. But, not the case at all, according to the article that started this conversation in regards to it.

Look again..

Glueing plastic with super glue + Bicarb of Soda - Woodwork Forums
O.K. - I've read it twice now and nowhere does it state that he uses it for screw-hole repair. I rebuild pianos and am extremely familiar with CA glue but no I've never combined it with bi-carb but there other fillers you can buy for gap filling applications. I've used them many times and would not trust them for holding screws but since this is hardly a critical application I don't think it would hurt to try. It's just not something I would do.
Old 1st July 2011, 11:03 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
O.K. - I've read it twice now and nowhere does it state that he uses it for screw-hole repair. I rebuild pianos and am extremely familiar with CA glue but no I've never combined it with bi-carb but there other fillers you can buy for gap filling applications. I've used them many times and would not trust them for holding screws but since this is hardly a critical application I don't think it would hurt to try. It's just not something I would do.
No screw hole mentioned, but that where a screw hole repair search led me. Guess it may not work. May work. Hmmm...

Old 2nd July 2011, 04:56 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

lol, a picture of the offending hole?
Old 2nd July 2011, 06:23 AM   #29
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Gene, you asked the question 11 days ago, shouldn't it be done by now? We're only filling a hole for goodness sakes.
Old 2nd July 2011, 06:46 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Gene, you asked the question 11 days ago, shouldn't it be done by now? We're only filling a hole for goodness sakes.
I was ready to let it die when it had the first time. Seven days later starts up again. The thread from then on took on a life of its own.

I fixed it. But, not as expected. When I opened up the box to see where the hole is? It sits the end of a raised round column. Like a short fat pencil with no lead on the end. I simply put a small clamp around the end where the hole was and snugged it up just a little. Voila! Finito! The screw set tight.

I figured the way this thread was going we all might learn new things just the same. Maybe something that may come in handy for a more typical situation. It looked like everyone was having fun. So, I just left it be. I figured I may learn a better way myself for next time if a more typical situation arises.

Hide this!Advertise here!