Stacking loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all !
every times when we mount our little soundsystem, we start debating a lot how we should place the speakers :D
i mean, if i have 4 , sub-woofer in pair, it's better to stack them keeping the speaker near each other, or by keeping them vertical or in some other way ? and why stacked speaker system should go deeper with freq response ?

sorry for my bad english!

If you are asking should you stack two subwoofers; the answer is no.

If you place them in different locations in the room you will cause less resonant modes in the room and have smoother bass.

To find the a good location find a bass heavy piece of music and try moving the subwoofers around. Near the middle of the longest walls is often a good place to start. Offset the speakers in opposite directions on opposite walls.

Regards,
Andrew

hi and thanks for your reply!
yes i was asking about stacking subwoofers and mid-low unit, we usually play open-air so we arrange them as a "wall of sound" but as i said we don't know how is the best way to arrang them :D
i'll keep your suggestion when the next winter we'll play indoor!

You can try centre clustered in front of the stage, as long as it doesn't interfere with audience sight lines( the stage is high enough) , this way provides good coverage. If you do one stack either side of the stage you tend to get "power alley" which has a peak from both stacks that meets in the the centre of the two and extends outward with corresponding peaks and nulls on either side that move around depending on the frequency being reproduced. It has been suggested with this approach to keep one of the two stacks running 3dB lower to reduce interference between the two.
I have had very good coverage with 4 bass/ mid /high stacks around the outside of the crowd pointing in to the centre. But of course that setup has some fairly peaky areas too:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.