Removing water marks from cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had fantastic results using Howard's Furniture Refinisher and Howard's wax. The refinisher is actually a tinted finish blender and removes water marks (and dog drool marks) plus minimizes other blemishes. It's not terribly aggressive and doesn't really "refinish" anything in the true sense of the word. It comes in several tints; just choose something close. The wax is a mix of beeswax, carnauba wax and orange oil. Gives a really nice soft glow. I've had great results with this combo on all manner of hi-fi woods and for sprucing up old GR test equipment with wood enclosures. I think you can get it at Home Depot.

Hi
How to remove water marks from Maple finish speakers cabinets, should I use some kind of vax or sand and paint?
Water mark is quite big I would say 40x40mm
Thanks in advance
slav

Before you go any further you must tell us what the finish on the cabinet is. Is it wax, oil, lacquer or what?

Any advice given without this information should not be taken seriously. Was the water mark left from a potted plant on top or what? Is the stain whitish or is it darker?

Three things to try in this order. none are a sure thing.
Apply something oily like furniture polish and let it stand overnight. The oil may take the place of the water.
Wipe over the area with a rag dampened with denatured alcohol. You have the right amount of alcohol when you leave a slight trail behind the rag. Don't wet the rag to the degree that you leave a puddle. Don't rub hard. the alcohol will dissolve the finish and allow the water to evaporate out as the finish dries.
Last resort is to rub the spot with a mild abrasive. I have good luck with auto polish. 0000 steel wool lubricated with wax or mineral oil or furniture polish is also good. You will probably have to rub the whole surface to get an even sheen.
Good luck......Evan

Hi
It is Maple lacquered veneer , my wife spilled and left some water on the top of the speaker , which dissolved lacquer ,and there is whithish un-lacquered mark left.

Well, this is a mystery. If it was just water, then the lacquer would be untouched (it is strong stuff, unless there were nicks or abrasion). Was it a "drink" with alcohol in it?

The fact that it was a whitish mark makes me think it was a wax finish on top.

You can try the mild abrasive as suggested, but don't be too aggressive.

It sounds like the mark is in the lacquer layer and has not penetrated through to the veneer layer. If the suggestions offered regarding polishing do not suffice it will be necessary to restore the top layer of the lacquer finish. In general this requires using a solvent with 0000 steel wool. For lacquer the solvent would be lacquer thinner diluted in mineral spirits. You want to start very diluted (10%-15% lacquer thinner) and very gently work the area only to the extent needed to remove the blemish and blend the blemished area into the rest of the surface. If you are lucky you may succeed without removing most/all of the finish and can coat with a high quality furniture wax to complete the job. If it requires removing most/all of the lacquer finish then you will need to refinish.

mayonnaise

Had luck with mayonnaise on new water marks, don't know if it works on old water marks.

Spread mayonnaise on the water marks, leave for a couple hours then wipe it up. Use real mayonnaise, not low fat.

I don't know why it works but it does. Used it on an oak table and maple cabinets.

Makes me cringe to think of sanding and refinishing when all that was required was a little mayo.

Have had exactly the same sort of mark on one of my speakers (rosewood veneer) and after reading a lot of tips on the web I tried the following method which worked perfectly:

fold a clean towel in two and place over the mark
apply a hot iron over the towel - move iron and towel as one to cover entire stain if its large.

only takes seconds, just needs a bit of courage to put an iron on your speaker :eek: I think the stain is water that's got through the wax/oil finish but not penetrated the wood; the heat turns it to steam which comes back out into the towel, end of stain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.