Easiest cabinet design for full range driver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2011, 04:39 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Clayton,

You have the FE127e, which althoy it looks like the FE126 from the front is a different beast and will happily work in a BR. Hopefully the FF125wk will fill the role of the now discontinued FE126.

dave
Not to thread snipe here but what current Fostex model is nearest the FE127E? I have a friend with the 126's and you are right....different beasts.
Old 25th May 2011, 04:44 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Kel70 gets almost as low as halfTower, but more finese, not near as easy a build.

More finese thru the mid-top and more capable of doing a disappearing act.

dave
Old 25th May 2011, 09:50 AM   #13
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

BTW Dave, is there something called a Twin Mar-Kel 70? I know there is a Twin CHR-Ken.

As another newbie I feel Half-Towers would be a nice easy build. I would dare say a Pensil without the bracing looks simple too.

-Zia
Old 25th May 2011, 10:04 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are Twins of all of them, even if i haven't drawn them A Twin A12 might be pushing it, but i thot a Twin A10 would be but Toppsy is very happy with his. And there is always the option of making it 1.5 way.

dave
Old 25th May 2011, 11:32 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Toppsy's speakers look simply awesome... I can see them with my eyes closed . Colin says that they play rock music very well. I always used to think it was a Twin CHR-Ken - then learnt those are 2 x Alp 10s! (probably 1st gen).

Twin Alp 12 would be interesting indeed... maybe once Alp 12.3 comes out with most of the upgrades of the "wishlist" (i.e. paper cone, more bass, square voice coil among others) you can do a POC?

Regarding Twin Alp 10 Kens doing great with rock music... after playing with Castle MTs if I have some obervations/hypothesis about FR and loud/noisy rock/metal - will share.

Excuse my newbie ignorance, what are you refering to as 1.5 way?

-Zia
Old 25th May 2011, 07:23 PM   #16
terpkev is offline terpkev  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave, the mar-kel70 looks do-able for me. Except for one thing. Where the driver is mounted. It looks like there is an angled cut, plus flush mounting. What tools/techniques do u need to accomplish that? Is the inside angle cut absolutely necessary? Also are all the other angled cuts just 45 degrees?
Thanks for the help!
Kevin
Old 25th May 2011, 07:52 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
POC?
A TLA i am not familiar with.

Quote:
Excuse my newbie ignorance, what are you refering to as 1.5 way?
Using 2 identical drivers and rolling off the top end of one of them. Used primarily as a way to compensate for bafflestep, but also gives more cone at low frequencies & more of a point source at hi-frequencies.

Amplifier output impedance is an important consideration.

dave
Old 25th May 2011, 08:01 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkev View Post
Dave, the mar-kel70 looks do-able for me. Except for one thing. Where the driver is mounted. It looks like there is an angled cut, plus flush mounting. What tools/techniques do u need to accomplish that? Is the inside angle cut absolutely necessary? Also are all the other angled cuts just 45 degrees?
Releiving the back of the cut-out is important for minimizing boxy/cupped sound in the midrange. It can be acomplished using a big rasp. The fancy & elegant ones shown, are usually accomplished with a specific router bit.

There are some drivers you can get away with no bezel rebate. Most of the Fostex for instance. But a deep circular bezel really benefits from being flush.

The rebate is usually accomplished with a router, But it can also be accomplished by flush mounting the driver and then building up the baffle with 1 or more layers of material (it doesn't even need to be wood. Corl or dense felt would work. The layers on top would only need a round hole cut in them.

The big champher is 45 degrees and usually cut off the built box with a big table saw. But people have done it with a skill saw, or even in one case with a hand saw. Lots of sanding usually required. The Classic GR versions were done to get the same alignment with an easier build.

dave
Old 25th May 2011, 08:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Dave,

POC is Proof Of Concept. I keep on forgetting what TLA stands for, LOL - Though I try avoiding, TLAs seem to creep in.

-Zia
Old 25th May 2011, 08:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

Using 2 identical drivers and rolling off the top end of one of them. Used primarily as a way to compensate for bafflestep, but also gives more cone at low frequencies & more of a point source at hi-frequencies.

Amplifier output impedance is an important consideration.

dave
Glad I asked this question - useful learning for me.

And Output impedance - I have had some first hand suffering recently.

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!