2 way passive crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I would like to build a 2 way passive crossover for a pair of 2 loudspeakers system made in USSR (TENTO) a few years ago. I don't have the original speakers, nor the crossover inside so i decided to build one. The speaker cabinet is very nice and i think it was well calculated.

I have two 4 ohm speakers inside:

YDD 200 LPP
DIAM=200mm D. Magnet=100mm Putere M=150W
Frequency=55HZ-5KHZ
Senz=90dB Imped=4ohm;
output 75W

and this one:

Untitled

As you have noticed, i don't have a tweeter but a midrange speaker. I really do not want to use a tweeter because i don't like high pitched sounds. This speaker will reproduce quite well higher sounds....

I'm wondering what filters should i use? 2nd order or 3rd order? I have read that there is not much difference between 2nd order and 3rd order. The big difference is between 1st order and 2nd order.

However, i read about 2nd order here :

Second Order Passive Crossovers, 12 dB per Octave

and about 3rd order here:

Third Order Passive Crossovers, 18 dB per Octave

Building the inductors is very easy, i just have to specify the inductance

Shavano Music Online - Cross-Over Network; Air Core Inductor Calculator

Calculating the right inductance is difficult for me. This calculator makes things very easy, all i have to do is specify the speakers impedance and the frequency.

Passive Crossovers, Capacitor and Coil Calculator

The problem is i don't know what to introduce in the frequency field. I would like to get the best from these speakers. A three way crossover would have been easier. I think the 2 way is difficult because it's a compromise. It uses 2 speakers for the whole range instead of 3 separate speakers like in a 3 way system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.