Pencil CAD and Hand Carving PCB Traces

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I’m making a PCB that is simple and has large components, I prefer using good old pencil CAD to design my PCB layout.
After I've drawn the layout, I drill the holes for all my components. Then I cut my traces by hand with a rotary tool.
To eliminate dust from flying all over, I cut the traces with the PCB submerged in about ½” of water. No need for etching chemicals.

Here you can see the pencil layout and finished PCB.

pencil_cad_to_built_2.jpg

I remember when I first started out in electronics, making PCBs seemed like an impossible task since you needed all the chemicals, CAD programs and equipment.

When I got out into industry I found it wasn't uncommon to just carve the traces on PCBs. Sometimes you just need like one extra little relay PCB in your project, so this is a quick and dirty way to get it done.

So if you are an electronics hobbyist who hasn’t seen this done before I hope this post gives you another option for board making.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.