help with leslie speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i need help building leslie speakers from scratch i'm a beginner when comes to building speakers in general. i've built some complicated mechanisms before but this is new ground. basically i have all the parts except motor the motor bits and the treble horn. i was wandering if there is any alternatives that any one has ever heard of, for these sections of a full sized working leslie. thanks for any help.

That is an ambitious project! There are many websites dedicated to the Leslie. I build one many years ago, but instead of using motors, I used 4 sets of amps and speakers. The mechanical and tool demands of a true Leslie were beyond me at that time. The effect is very close to the original. I expanded it out a little in the attachment. The resistors reduce the sound output to half. Instead of 4x90 you get 8x45 deg. rotation. E

Attachments

• Leslie.pdf
    76.1 KB · Views: 65
Independent motors for the horn and bass rotors. In real leslies, independent motors for high and low speed, but I'm sure we can avoid that. Both rotors belt driven. Making the balanced HF horn will be the complex bit; that and making the bearings quiet enough. If yo need any details of the original, I've got one in the cellar that still works.

I once saw a sort of equivalent with a circular wooden arrangement with blades like an impeller pump in place of the tot horn, the HF driver evidently only feeding into one of the wedge segments; the sound was quite good, and bearing noise low.

The transistor amps (not the original tube amps) were quite complex, involving optical limiters to simulate tube resonse.

Wishing you lots of interesting experimentation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.