Iwata for TAD 4003

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

Me and a friend are to build the Iwata's, but for the TAD 4003 driver, which is quite different to the 4001 in throat-size.

I downloaded the old drawings from this site and -angle and was worried about, if TAD had gone different ways in terms of the angle. I used Illustrator to make the following drawing (4003 overlaid by 4001) to show, that it should be in terms of the laws to make a adapter.

The "start" of the Iwata-horn lies perfect in the middle of the diapraghm.

Later this evening I will post the drawings of the vertical and horisontal curves in pdf.-format 1:1 that only needs printing for cutting out forms.
I will get back with the link if anyone are interested.

Regards and thanks for a brilliant forum.

Peter

Attachments

• 4001contra4003.jpg
    4001contra4003.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 951
Last edited by a moderator:
As to the drawing: They are both equal in size and I have aligned the diapraghms. Look carefully at the phase-plugs! On the 4003 they are prolonged at the tip and the cavity in front are very different to the more round ditto on the 4001. Presumedly for better HF.
The angle are steeper than the 4001, but due to the shorter hornlengt in the 4004 it should not a probem to make a near-perfect adapter.
If anyone has inputs, please.

Regards
Peter

Opening angle of TAD TD-4003

Hi Peter.

I cheked my 4003 and indeed the opening angle is a couple of degrees less than the JBL standard 1.5-2.0 inch adapter that I use. But the difference is so small that I wont worry about that.
Why have you chosen the IWATA profile?
Why not make a horn that has been optimised to the 4003?
Like this one:
http://www.artec-france.com/etudes.php?lang=fr&system=reference&item=pavillon

I want to make it in wood, something like this one:
http://www2.117.ne.jp/~y-s/F280A-e.html

If you are interested, lets join forces, I stay in Lyngby.

Regards
Erik

Last edited:
Hi Erik, allready heard from Søren/Robert that you would maybe participate - great!
We go for the old, original Iwata and the 950 we allready got from Radian. I know about the Polish Iwata, but don't want to go the "plastic-way". I still think that wood has a certain role in dampening and strength. And the design has proven it's worth, so why tinker with a gem. The process of turning the horns is a tremendous job itself. A follow up will maybe be the Brush Wellman's. I have had several conversations with Mr. Yamamoto that concludes that fin's like found in the venerable TAD-horn is good for spreading but bad for the sonic's
And, great hearing from you again.

Regards
Peter

Last edited:
Is this project still ongoing? Has any progress been made?

I am using TH-4001 clones on my TD-4003 drivers and would like to try something else. I would be interested to see how you tackle such a challenge.

Alois

Hi Alois,
We have decided to use the Radian 950. The Iwata horns will be CNC'ed around september where we will try different adapters to cope with the Radian drivers very short and 20 degree angled throat. I'll be back when we get there.

Regards
Peter

Hi Sannax,
The two 1:1 files can be downloaded here:

www.peterdupont.dk/Iwata_bottom.pdf
www.peterdupont.dk/Iwata_side.pdf

We are still working on the lathe for routing the Iwata top/bottoms - but there has been a lot of annoying inbetween stuff which has slowed things down.
To be certain we have everything in order before we start up with expensive wood we have experimented with the much easier TAD.
I'll get back when we get further.

Regards
Peter

HI ALL

I am new from here and new for building my own speaker..too

I am from Asia, Hong Kong China, I want to build something based on the 4003 too, the drawing seem wonderful , is it for 4001 or 4003?

What kind of wood is best for this? is it too much if..i go for soem tone wood for piano or Viola..or making Guitar? I have vendor for CNC..or ..other way to make it nicely..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.