Amatuer needs help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on building a custom computer speaker. My woods teacher is helping me, and gave me 2 horn looking things he says can be used as speakers. Both have a sticker on the back that say "tweeter", it says they run at 6 ohms (testing revealed they put off 7.3), and are made in korea. Each one is 7.5 inches long, 3.5 inches wide. The teacher says they are optimus, but have no brand symbol. I need an amplifier to make them work with my computer. I am building a custom wood case for them to be mounted in. I already have 1 3.5 mm standard jack for input from computer. Anyone have any info on these? I need an amplifier, and if you can think of any other parts I would need, any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
epicXxfailXx

They are horn tweeters, so by themselves your computer will sound like a transistor radio at best. If you are just after a shop class grade, you can power them from a LM380 or LM386 -based circuit, or you can use a ready-made T-amp.
For improved sound you would want a pair of low frequency drivers also to make a 2-way speaker system.
I was at the Tandy outlet store in Fort Worth last year and saw several boxes of these. I didn't check them out but bought a couple of the smaller model for a "to-do list" project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.