Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2011, 03:53 PM   #1
ilardi is offline ilardi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Use of Dental Surgical Binocular Loupes for SMD Work

Has anyone tried these, or similar, cheap Dental Surgical Binocular Loupes, 3.5 X Dental Surgical Binocular Loupes Dentist 420mm - eBay (item 190486934809 end time Apr-04-11 17:57:45 PDT) for assembly of SMD boards. Clearly it would be preferable to use high quality dental surgical loupes, but at close to $1000 for a pair, they are out of reach. These at $65 are within budget and may be good enough for occasional use. My Optivisor works, but having to hunch over at 4 or 5 inches from the board I am working on is hardly comfortable.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Terry
Old 21st March 2011, 06:17 PM   #2
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Looks to be worth a try - I used something like these Gold Tone DOUBLE EYE LOUPE for Eye Glasses 3X and 3X - eBay (item 200586189999 end time Apr-11-11 21:52:41 PDT)
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:35 PM   #3
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I get cheap magnyfying spectacles from a pound shop here in the UK for delicate work. I have a variety of magnification factors as they are so cheap.
Old 22nd March 2011, 02:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Those dental loupes look like a real deal. I use much more primitive stuff from Optics Planet. Their Carson brand magnifiers are inexpensive and work well- we use a lot of them in the shop at work, but there's a big difference between the telescopic gadgets and simple magnifiers, in terms of working distance and what you can see without strain.

Conrad
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I get cheap magnyfying spectacles from a pound shop here in the UK for delicate work. I have a variety of magnification factors as they are so cheap.
Are these what we call 'reading glasses' over here?
That's what I generally use for magnifiers, but the working distance is quite small.
Those magnifiers that dentists and surgeons use would be just the thing.... if I had a dentist/surgeon's income!
I'm interested to read a review of those eBay loupes.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I use 2.5x loops and I always give myself the gift of tons of light (don't skimp on the light).

It's great for SMD parts and for rechecking/inspecting any circuit work.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Banned

I have a few of the 'screw in eye' type of jewellers loupes, up to 10x, and some reading glasses. I have a few torches (flashlights) with Cree and other high power LEDs.

I have a close-work headset with interchangeable lenses too, but it doesn't get much use.

I'm naturally short-sighted so I can get away with most things by peering over the top of my glasses and checking afterwards with the loupe.

I make SMT circuits on homemade PCBs without really noticing, but I have been doing it for over 10 years. Everything I do is SMT, unless I'm forced to use through hole, which is kind of like it is in industry. I've done some pretty fine-pitch stuff, 24 pin TSSOP which fits 12 pins in 7.5mm. Course there's a technique for these, you just flood them with solder and then suck it off. Yes, I said suck it off.

I've taken to doing a few things in a toaster oven more recently, that's a pretty good method too, especially if you can get a laser-cut plastic stencil for the solder.

w
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:25 PM   #8
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

VictoriaGuy,
yep, they are relatively cheap (£2 £3) so I have a few mag powers depending what I'm doing. 25 years in front of computers and old age have caught up with my eyes, and shrinking electronic devices dont help.
Old 8th November 2011, 05:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have some dental surgical binocular loupes. For more information please visit: Care Optical | Professional Dental Loupes and LED Headlights
Old 8th November 2011, 08:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I use this : 3 Magnifier 7X Watch Eye Loupe Magnifying Glass Tools | eBay

enough for SMD work.

Regards zeoN_Rider

Hide this!Advertise here!