diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Construction Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   3 Way Loudspeaker Designing (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/185188-3-way-loudspeaker-designing.html)

Jameslc 16th March 2011 08:03 AM

3 Way Loudspeaker Designing

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all i am building a 3 way speaker system and i need help designing it so it looks cool and looks one of a kind if you know what i mean :)
(i will attach pics of sketch up designs)

Speakers i am using
Peerless 12' SLS 830669 x2 (Iso-Barik Clamshell)
Peerless 6.5' Mid Woofer 831916
Vifa 1" Silk Dome Tweeter D27TG-45-06

mickeymoose 16th March 2011 03:00 PM

Wow, that is a mighty big woofer and squaker!
25 years ago Panasonic build 8' units to simulate earthquakes. Unfortunately, they could not predict them.E

tinitus 16th March 2011 03:29 PM

hey James

do not place tweeter and midrange side by side

you say clamshell ?
this means one magnet is sticking out, and other in
is that what you are suggesting

I dont think there's any need fore porting midrange

Jameslc 17th March 2011 02:59 AM

I just did the working out with Winisd and the ebp said it would be best so i went along with it.

And with the tweeter being side by side to the Midrange will that affect the sound from the tweeter maybe then just run a strip of MDF along the top and just mount the tweeter above the Midrange.
And with the Woofers i am doing exacly what u said just cone to cone one inside and one out

Jameslc 17th March 2011 03:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i just did the Graph for the Midrange in the same volume box but ported (Yellow) and closed (Green) it is better vented i would have thought unless i didn't need it to go down that far

picowallspeaker 17th March 2011 03:15 AM

If you can make also the exercise to design the ports on the back ...as putting the tweeter on top . Both changes will influence the sound much ,but the speakers then will have to be placed carefully in the room ( distant from the walls ) .

Jameslc 17th March 2011 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fixed one problem:D

Jameslc 17th March 2011 03:35 AM

thanks Pico for that i am running the designs past people to see what they think but putting the ports on the back or front which place would be best or does it depend on the room size?

picowallspeaker 17th March 2011 03:48 AM

Yes you should look at many designs -that's what I do too-
The port contributes in sound so it can be considered as an extra speaker...maybe that's what the simulation does! Since it should emit a narrow range of bass notes ,which are omnidirectional ,it could be placed wherever , having in mind the final placement of the cabinets in the room .

Jameslc 17th March 2011 03:57 AM

yea i think i will just leave it in the front of the box and see what it sounds like