Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2011, 05:56 AM   #31
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslc View Post
usually i am sitting in a bean bag about 4 to 5 feet away
Have you possibly considered satellites and subwoofers? Your midbass and tweeters could be made into some smaller stand mounted enclosures and the woofers could then have there own separate subwoofer enclosures.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:14 AM   #32
Jameslc is offline Jameslc  Australia
diyAudio Member

no i havent but considerd i all ready have a home theatre with sattlites and a sub that would be my last option but what i was thinking that i have the box in a box like configuration. Have the woofer box and then have the midranges box inside it only downside is that i will have to calculate the 13.5 litres plus the 18 mm thickness of the MDF and add it to the total woofer box volume
Old 17th March 2011, 06:24 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
no i havent but considerd i all ready have a home theatre with sattlites and a sub that would be my last option but what i was thinking that i have the box in a box like configuration. Have the woofer box and then have the midranges box inside it only downside is that i will have to calculate the 13.5 litres plus the 18 mm thickness of the MDF and add it to the total woofer box volume
My enclosures are not even as large as you intend yours to be. As it is, mine in their as yet unfinished state are almost too heavy to lift/move. I'm using 19mm MDF with full length internal bracing and a double thick front baffle.

When yours are finished I cannot imagine how much they will weigh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA020001.jpg (473.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg PA080011.jpg (516.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0421.jpg (902.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by AEIOU; 17th March 2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:27 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

yea true but i am in a corner at the moment because i am struggling to think of a nice looking design that is not very complex and hard to build i don't know if you have any idea's of how i could design it a bit better to my pervious attempt
Old 17th March 2011, 06:29 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

what is the white looking substance in the 2nd pic?
and that is some really nice work you must have been doing this for a while i'm only 16 and i could not do such work as that
Old 17th March 2011, 06:44 AM   #36

Quote:
and that is some really nice work you must have been doing this for a while i'm only 16 and i could not do such work as that
Fissured Acoustical Ceiling Tile for moderate sound absorption/suppression inside the enclosure of the midrange frequencies.

The only way to become an "expert" is to make plenty of mistakes.
Anyway MDF is relatively inexpensive and mistakes are usually easy to fix or repair.

When I cut the large angles/bevels on the front corners I had to have someone help me to lift up and push the enclosures on the table saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8310010.jpg (491.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P9150005.jpg (320.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg PA080013.jpg (546.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by AEIOU; 17th March 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:47 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess it's for keeping the distance...
Also for reference http://www.renatogiussani.it/the_forum_speaker_1.htm
which may be a step ahead when considering the system in room .
The woofer benefits from 'floor bounce' since it is a nearby reflecting surface it adds +3 dB ; omnidirectional source point given by the closed box design ,and total null of internal reflections with the prismatic geometry .
The mid-hi cabinet ... which has open back ,is placed at ear level's height ,and has almost no baffle ,making another point source .
Old 17th March 2011, 06:49 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

ok yeah my first box's just had ceiling bats in it and that sounded fine but i had the woofer and midrange in the same box i,m not going to do that again!

Last edited by Jameslc; 17th March 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 2nd July 2011, 03:24 AM   #39
Westy37 is offline Westy37  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry to drag up an old thread. Did this project ever get completed?

I'm looking to use the peerless woofer in a sealed enclosure and am wondering how it turned out for you.

Hide this!Advertise here!