Help getting started!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will these work? Amazon.com: 2200uF 25V Radial Mini Electrolytic Capacitor: Electronics

I've found some online that say they're "bi-polar" and I assume that doesn't mean manic depressive ;) but none that say they have a specific polarity. What should I be looking for? Also where's the best place to buy? I suspect Amazon may be charging more than elsewhere. Can these typically be found in local stores of some sort?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, and thanks for putting up with me! :D

Edit: Ok I read up on capacitors. It seems they're polarized by default! I just need to be careful to NOT buy the bi-polar (or non-polarized) ones, I think.

Last edited:
Make a list of the ones you need and order them all from the same place or the shipping cost will eat you alive. Parts Express's lowest is around $7, more than the caps. A long time ago you could buy parts at the local TV repair shops but they have all but disappeared.

Electrolytic caps are always marked with a stripe or negative sign on their negative pole. They can and will explode if installed backwards and powered up. Bi-polar caps are actually 2 caps in a single housing wired back to back so they can operate both ways.

Ugh, $7 shipping for these little things? Do you think I'll need all of them replaced? I'll make a list now, then.

Edit: I looked on Parts Express and they don't seem to have polarized ones in this voltage / capacitance, only bipolar (at least that's what I assume the -+ symbol on its side means) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=020-1122

Allied Electronics seems to have the best selection and lowest prices per cap so far...

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought the multimeter from amazon and the caps from allied today, so some time in the next week I'll hopefully have something to show for it. :) I decided to buy only the two 25v ones for now and will get more later if / when they're needed. It might cost more in the long run but I don't want to replace all the caps on the board on my very first attempt.

Meanwhile the chip amp is a Toshiba TA8223K, here's the datasheet:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/toshiba/1157.pdf

I checked my bank account and was thoroughly disgruntled today. I was quite happy with my initial shopping cart telling me that I was paying $1.14 for two capacitors plus $5 handling, thinking that included standard ups ground shipping. But no, it did not. That was an additional $9.13!!! So for two $0.57 capacitors I paid a total of $15.27. I find this absolutely ridiculous. I would have been better off ordering from amazon and paying a dollar each. At least standard ground shipping is usually free or cheap and handling is non-existent! /rant

*sigh* I won't be making that mistake again... It wouldn't be such a bad (and expensive) lesson if this didn't leave me with a whole $4 left in my bank account... :(

look around in town or in next town for any electronics repair workshop.
You can most probably ask the shopkeeper to add your things to his own order, so shipping fees will be feasable.
I do that many times, shipping of heavy toroid transformators are expensive as hell.

For DIY things, its better to save up some cash.
So you can order components that are widely used.

Success!! The caps arrived this morning and within half an hour of their arrival I'd soldered them on and was listening to music again! :) I think I spent more time opening packaging and screwing everything back in place than I did with the actual repair.

The sound is much cleaner now, the electrical hum in the background is almost completely gone. It also remembers what volume it was last at if I unplug it for a few seconds. It used to start at max volume whenever I unplugged it which was annoying since the volume control is digital. Now to let it play all day and see if it shuts itself off randomly like it did before I replaced the caps. I suspect I'm good to go though.

Next to build a headphone amp with parts I've already got, and start saving up to build a gainclone. :D

Completed repair closeup | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice!!!

Well, that was a short lived bit of success! The right channel now crackles and pops no matter what speaker I put on it. I guess there was more that needed fixing after-all, or maybe the speaker I was using on that channel was just too high powered for it.

In any event I guess I'm starting a gainclone sooner than anticipated! Fortunately I just got a new job so in a few weeks I'll actually be able to afford the parts. :) Once I get started I'll make a new thread in whatever forum is the right one for those projects and add a link to it in this thread for anyone who wants to follow it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.