PCB Repair recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2011, 10:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PCB Repair recommendations

I need to perform a few repairs on an old glass/epoxy board. I'm wondering if someone can recommend an "inexpensive/easy to find" epoxy which would suffice for this job.

I'm trying to avoid having to purchase a $300-$400 kit since I only need to repair one pcb.

'
Old 24th February 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Why don't you show us how it looks right now?
Old 5th March 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
Why don't you show us how it looks right now?
WHY? It needs to be repaired! It's all ready to be filled, just need some epoxy!
Old 6th March 2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Banned

Searching 'epoxy' on the US amazon site showed numerous types in 2-pack syringes, you'd want the standard grade, not the quicksetting.

Or you could try polyester fibreglass resin from Hobby Lobby, but you need the hardener, it's out of stock, but you can probably get it from an auto supplier.

w
Old 6th March 2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimphert View Post
WHY? It needs to be repaired! It's all ready to be filled, just need some epoxy!
It may be easier to give advice if we can see what you have.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
Searching 'epoxy' on the US amazon site showed numerous types in 2-pack syringes, you'd want the standard grade, not the quicksetting.

Or you could try polyester fibreglass resin from Hobby Lobby, but you need the hardener, it's out of stock, but you can probably get it from an auto supplier.

w

Thanks wakibaki.... I wasn't sure if "standard grade" epoxy could be used successfully.... I will have a look at the fiberglass resin you mentioned @ HL.

Do you know if "regular" fiberglass resin catalyst can be used with this polyester resin?

thanks;

B-
Old 7th March 2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Do you know if "regular" fiberglass resin catalyst can be used with this polyester resin?
I would certainly think so, but I don't know for definite. It'd be best if you could get the matching pair. Hobby Lobby almost certainly aren't the only supplier, I'd look for a local aeromodelling shop, or an autobody repair shop or boat-builders.

w
Old 7th March 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I need to perform a few repairs on an old glass/epoxy board. I'm wondering if someone can recommend an "inexpensive/easy to find" epoxy which would suffice for this job.

I'm trying to avoid having to purchase a $300-$400 kit since I only need to repair one pcb.

'
Take a look at Devcon Plastic Welder. It's a 2 part like epoxy but twice as strong and won't soften like epoxy when it gets warm. It gets hard enough to drill holes in it and file/sand it smooth. Nasty smell while mixing it but worth it. I'd put a Scotch tape form on the side near the most traces and fill the other and file it smooth when it cures - about 4 hours.

Old 9th March 2011, 03:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks you for all of your recommendations... I managed to pick up some pcb resin from a buddy who purchased a full kit and had some left over.

B-

`

Hide this!Advertise here!