First Loud Speaker Box Build Need Help!!!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Jameslc is offline Jameslc  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default First Loud Speaker Box Build Need Help!!!!!

Hi everyone

I have purchased a Peerless 12" woofer , Peerless 6.5" mid range and a PAE 1" soft Dome Tweeter and i have been reading various article and tutorials on the Internet and neaver seamed to get anywhere with them and i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on where i should start and how i should go about building these three way speaker box's.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What amplifier are you going to use ? Which ambient is supposed to be sonorized <voiced> ? Keep in mind that tweeters suffer from any low frequency at high voltage at their input ,I just blew one yesterday, so...I was going to suggest to go to active and use an amplifier for each speaker ...but that is a good way to blow speakers !!!
Ready made and available amplifiers incorporating an active crossover are only the subwoofer amplifiers and the Car Audio stuff .
So the other chance is to go the 'old way' and project and build a passive crossover for the right box (es) and enjoy !!
Edit:Perhaps ... active crossovers are older than passive ones ...?!
Old 18th February 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi picowallspeaker thanks for the reply there only going to be used by a old Denon 50 watt amp (PMA-501) and i have bought a cheapy active crossover for them
but after i posted this i found this program from Linear Team called WinISD it has helped me A LOT! i have decided to go with a Sealed Box for the Woofer because it is the best one that suits my needs with only 151.09 liters because i am limited in how big it can be

Not sure about the midrange Sealed or ported?
Old 18th February 2011, 10:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The ambient is most probably good clean bass and running it on a old denon 50 watt amp with 3 way crossover
Old 18th February 2011, 01:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslc View Post
Hi picowallspeaker thanks for the reply there only going to be used by a old Denon 50 watt amp (PMA-501) and i have bought a cheapy active crossover for them
but after i posted this i found this program from Linear Team called WinISD it has helped me A LOT! i have decided to go with a Sealed Box for the Woofer because it is the best one that suits my needs with only 151.09 liters because i am limited in how big it can be

Not sure about the midrange Sealed or ported?
...only ...
Midrange in OB ! Take care of the reflected rear wave and you're OK
Old 19th February 2011, 07:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

ok thanks for that another thing i wanted to ask was when i do my calculations on the box it becomes way bigger then what the wes catalog recommends it says only about 30-40L closed and 35-50L vented

I will post my box calculation results below
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/James/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Speaker.JPG
Old 19th February 2011, 08:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

what do mean with the midrage in OB?
Old 19th February 2011, 09:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm still finishing a BR or DCR box for a 12",that's 120 liters ,still with the upper panel removable ...so I think that 130 is ok (depends upon driver's parameter and if/how you fell having a deep or punchy...relaxed or nervous bass ). height now is 80 cm ,about 50 cm large , the baffle a little inclined ,and I needed to keep the woofer as low as possible to take advantage of floor reflections , so I get more output from bass to tame its emission to an high sensitivity midrange . I ended in having the woofer above the lamellar and flared (at both ends) port of the reflex duct .
First tries were a simple 3 mH coil for the woofer , having a 6" fullrange filtered with a 47 uF (FR is 4 Ohm) for mid-trebles . Just putting the FR on the box ,with a small baffle to house it ,and you have a midrange in OB -open baffle.
Ob concept is based on elementary speaker functioning relations analysis : when the membrane move , a 'positive' wave is generated on the front ,and the negative -180 acoustic phase inverted from the back of the speaker .
When those wave collide ,since they are phase inverted ,they cancel themselves . So cabinets were invented to keep the front wave and the rear wave separated . Big sound cancellations happen with big waves ...when you play music on a bare speaker ,the longer waves ( a 30 Hz frequency has several meters of a wavelenght , a 4 kHz few centimeters ,if less )vanish misteriously.... So putting a midrange in OB may help in having a natural bass roll off .
Old 19th February 2011, 09:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

ok i got it now i will just have seperate boxes for woofer and mid

Last edited by Jameslc; 19th February 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

thanks for the help

Last edited by Jameslc; 19th February 2011 at 09:26 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!