dead smooth joints - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2011, 06:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default dead smooth joints

I have been working with wood for quiet a while but never mastered super smooth joints that allow easy painting. What types of product do you guys use to seal plywood edges/butt joints etc.

My first thought would be wood putty and a sander-but I was hoping you guys might have a better way

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Banned

A kind of lacquer called sanding sealer is used to fill minor imperfections and raise the wood grain prior to sanding and final finishing with paint or varnish.

w
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Waki

I have been listening to my 206 horns now for a few weeks, but as of last night I have started final finish work on them.

I'll pick up some sanding sealer and see how it turns out.

Thanks again
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Lots of sanding. Also, it is easier if the end grain board is slightly proud and not the face board. That's something you have to watch when you're gluing up the boxes. If you're going to finish with enamel paint or varnish, you can make a sanding sealer with 2 parts polyurethane varnish and one part mineral spirits, sanding between coats until the wood is filled and smooth, particularly the end grain.
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Moto

I have worked with poly in the past but recently purchased some exterior latex. From what I have read latex has improved greatly and is starting to take over the world.

I'm not sure about that-I need to do a test before I go all out. PolyU it may be instead.

Later
Old 6th February 2011, 02:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Moto

I took your advice, stopped at the local hardware store a bought a new palm sander. The edges are coming along now-Thanks. Right now I'm 5 pages into the sticky about wood/varnish. The whole latex thing seems silly now.

Later
Old 6th February 2011, 02:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Real sanding sealer is made from shellac so it dries in minutes. I couldn't be without it.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!