dead smooth joints

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been working with wood for quiet a while but never mastered super smooth joints that allow easy painting. What types of product do you guys use to seal plywood edges/butt joints etc.

My first thought would be wood putty and a sander-but I was hoping you guys might have a better way

Thanks in advance

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Lots of sanding. Also, it is easier if the end grain board is slightly proud and not the face board. That's something you have to watch when you're gluing up the boxes. If you're going to finish with enamel paint or varnish, you can make a sanding sealer with 2 parts polyurethane varnish and one part mineral spirits, sanding between coats until the wood is filled and smooth, particularly the end grain.

Moto

I have worked with poly in the past but recently purchased some exterior latex. From what I have read latex has improved greatly and is starting to take over the world.

I'm not sure about that-I need to do a test before I go all out. PolyU it may be instead.

Later

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.