Folded horn construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2011, 04:57 PM   #1
cjq is offline cjq  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Folded horn construction

Hi, I have an interest in building a folded horn enclosure and have looked at "many" designs . My question is why do most have "square" cornered passage ways. I know some horn designs have smooth curved passages .Dosen't sound flow like water ,wouldnt rounded corners make an improvement in sound quality. I'm looking at making the S.P.Q.R. mod.2
Would adding "fillers" (triangular wedges) in the corners to smooth out the flow be worth the effort.
Thanks for considering my question.

C J Q
Old 28th January 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi ,,,not sure I posted this message in the proper forum ,should it be moved??

CJQ
Old 28th January 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Cask05 is offline Cask05  United States
diyAudio Member

By sheer luck, it may be that you've picked the right forum...
I believe that the answer is "build difficulty" of circular or ellipsoidal horns, and that most folded horns are used at lower frequencies where the folds are not very critical - the so-called "water in a fire hose" analogy. Most applications for circular or ellipsoidal cross-section horns use straight horn designs, IMHO.

Chris
Old 28th January 2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Maybe you should read this thread
THAM15 - a compact 15" tapped horn
Corner reflectors are a HOT subject!
Old 28th January 2011, 03:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Guy's, thanks for the input. I can only understand a small portion of the technical discussions. But, I can apply some of what comes to me in terms broken down to my level. And I sincerly thank everyone for tollerating folks in my position.
My objectice is to switch a pair of fe126's to the SPQR2 enclosure. The spkr's are now in a BIB box (top port) I'm amazed at the low end sound they produce. I wanted to expirement with the new enclosure to see if there is an even lower end improvement.
Including corner fillets during construction is not a big thing just determining radi is the question.
Also I have a weakness for collecting vintage speakers from garage sales, thrift stores etc. I normally will take my lap top along and when I see something that maybe of value I google the item. I have half my garage at home filled with cabinets my wife thinks are just junk,,,LOL
My ultimate plan is to flip flop speakers and enclosures.
Sorry for going off topic.
Thanks again
CJQ
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

CJQ

I have (built) a pair of the factory recommended horns for the Fostex206. From what I have been able to understand-the many sharp edges in this design may be useful in filtering the higher frequencies from the rear wave-along with ease of construction.
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:24 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelroy View Post
CJQ

I have (built) a pair of the factory recommended horns for the Fostex206. From what I have been able to understand-the many sharp edges in this design may be useful in filtering the higher frequencies from the rear wave-along with ease of construction.
I don't know if it's the sharp corners or the change of direction forced on the pressure wave. It's the same in a baffle type car silencer. The pressure wave is forced around many changes in direction where the HF gets mixed up creating destructive interference.

Hide this!Advertise here!