Is it possible to get 15v from 2x15v transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ground the center tap and take 15 V from one of the two ends. Terminate the other end (i.e. cover the end with some heat shrink tubing or some electrical tape). If the secondary is rated for 100 mA you can get 100 mA out of it when wired that way.

Another thing you can do is to use a different rectifier. I assume you'll rectify the output of the transformer with a diode bridge. That will result in about 18~20 V DC. If you instead connect the center tap to ground and connect each end of the secondary to the anode of a diode you get full-wave rectification as well. The cathodes of the diodes go to the reservoir cap. Like this (from Wikipedia):
500px-Fullwave.rectifier.en.png

~Tom

Ground the center tap and take 15 V from one of the two ends. Terminate the other end (i.e. cover the end with some heat shrink tubing or some electrical tape). If the secondary is rated for 100 mA you can get 100 mA out of it when wired that way.

Another thing you can do is to use a different rectifier. I assume you'll rectify the output of the transformer with a diode bridge. That will result in about 18~20 V DC. If you instead connect the center tap to ground and connect each end of the secondary to the anode of a diode you get full-wave rectification as well. The cathodes of the diodes go to the reservoir cap. Like this (from Wikipedia):
500px-Fullwave.rectifier.en.png

~Tom
thanks tom for the reply.

i need to connected it to the ready made psu board. hence option 2 is not viable.

so option 1 is way to go.. so only taking from one of the tap while leaving the other 15 volt would allow me to get the full rating of the transformer? that is nice to know.

as i was suggested by lokal seller to combine the two 15v taps and take the ground from CT.

just want to confirm

thanks
erwin

as i was suggested by lokal seller to combine the two 15v taps and take the ground from CT.
No !

connecting the two 15Vac ends is the same as connecting the secondaries out of phase.
That should blow the mains fuse almost instantly.

Use a bulb tester to check your work. Otherwise you may injure yourself or damage your equipment.

The only way to use both 15Vac tappings is the use of the two diode rectifier as in post2. It is only 2diodes. What's difficult about that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.