Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2011, 02:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Removing solder from PCB eyelets

Iam relacing some caps on a DAC pcb. Removing the old caps is going well, but there is solder remaining in the eyelets. Wicking does not help. They are too small for toothpicks. What a PITA! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 02:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try a Desoldering Vacuum Bulb.

Radio Shack #64-2086 or #64-2060
Old 4th January 2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Banned

Rather than risking damaging the board just heat up the pads when you insert the new components.
Old 4th January 2011, 03:26 PM   #4
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

I sometimes remove as much as I can using a pump and/or wick, then carefully drill out the last little bit using a drill that is just slightly smaller than the hole. I have a set of numbered drill bits (#61 - #80) and I use an X-acto knife handle as a chuck to manually drill out the solder. The solder is so much softer than the copper that it can be removed without damaging the plated hole.
Old 4th January 2011, 03:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Try this it has worked for me.
Before you remove the existing part use wick and your iron to remove as much of the original solder as possible. If you have any luck many of the eyelets will remain open when you remove the part. Strip a piece of stranded wire, twist it snug between your fingers, tin the very end with your iron then snip off the end on a diagonal to make it sharp. Apply some heat to the closed eyelet and insert the wire where you were thinking of using the toothpick. The wire will act as a long skinny piece of wick.
Done!
Old 4th January 2011, 03:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Heat it up. Blow through it. If that doesn't work, heat it up and rap it on the bench at an angle that will force the molten solder through and out the eyelet.

It's messy, but it works.
Old 4th January 2011, 03:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
Heat it up. Blow through it. If that doesn't work, heat it up and rap it on the bench at an angle that will force the molten solder through and out the eyelet.
Seconded.
Old 4th January 2011, 06:03 PM   #8
ArtG is offline ArtG  United States
diyAudio Member

Thirdid!
I do this all the time. Be aware, however, that molten solder will fly around, and sometimes end up in places you don't want it, like on your hand. Just be careful.
Old 4th January 2011, 06:27 PM   #9
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john dozier View Post
Iam relacing some caps on a DAC pcb. Removing the old caps is going well, but there is solder remaining in the eyelets. Wicking does not help. They are too small for toothpicks. What a PITA! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
This is the best solder sucker I've ever used. On stubborn holes, I will re-tin the hole and suck out the new solder. That usually works. A little flux might help too.

~Tom
Old 4th January 2011, 06:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips. I ordered a desoldering iron and bulb from parts express. Had excellent review and $30 delivered. I will let you know how it works. Thanks again. Btw tomchr, there was no link inyour reply. I would like to know what sucker you are using.

Hide this!Advertise here!