Removing solder from PCB eyelets - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2011, 01:33 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Is there an iron that goes with the tip you suggested? It appears that it would do the job, but I cannot afford to spend $500 plus on a desoldering station. Thanks
Old 10th January 2011, 08:00 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john dozier View Post
Is there an iron that goes with the tip you suggested? It appears that it would do the job, but I cannot afford to spend $500 plus on a desoldering station. Thanks
I can't afford a new one either but you can pick them up usually as separate items on eBay. You'll need a wand, power supply and tip. It would be nice to have the Metcal stand. Both of mine came to < $300 total. I also bought several for my last employer off eBay. One unit was bad when I got it but replacing the IRF130 power MOSFET fixed it right up. The Metcal desoldering iron works very well as I had two at two previous employers but I can do very nearly as well with the STTC126 tip and an Edsyn Soldapullt. You get one of these and you will not want to use anything else.

G
Old 15th January 2011, 07:10 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Desoldering pumps never worked for me. Solder wick works beautifully; it literally eats up solder until it's full.
Old 16th January 2011, 05:53 PM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that many of the method described rely on application of heat for longer periods of time than you'd usually need for the original solder connection, and that cheaper quality plating jobs - commercial or DIY - may start to delaminate from the board substrate . Repairing those can be a real pain in the through-hole .

I've used both a Soldapullt and braided Solderwick for years, and have found the latter to be much more reliable / versatile method. There are a lot of places the nozzle on the vacuum gadgets just can't reach, and with careful use scrubbing with the braided wick and a quick spray of flux remover you can clean the solder pads and surrounding traces as good as new.
Old 16th January 2011, 06:41 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I have now tried everything. The problem is the eyelets are much smaller than I am accustomed to. Capillary action is holding the solder in place. I will next go to a Dremel with a very small bit. I do not know what else to do.
Old 17th January 2011, 07:32 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Agreed on braid for many uses, certainly on cleaning up surface mount pads. A little flux remover after that and they look like new. The issues I sometimes run into is with boards that don't have thermal reliefs on larger areas of copper. Braid is a problem there because there isn't enough heat. The Metcal iron has a bit more power than most and far better temperature control than most others. By 'drilling' the tip into the hole, backing out just a little and then vacuuming it with the sucker will clean it out ready for the new capacitor (most common items I change).

We have changed out 100 pin quad flat pack chips using an Ungar heat shrink gun. I thought I had a bad chip and transplanted the 25 year old chip between boards with no problems. Perhaps adding a little extra heat from a hot air gun would help clear the holes. BTW how small are the holes in question?

G
Old 17th January 2011, 02:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

They are the smallest holes I have every seen, just large enough for a small capacitor lead.

Hide this!Advertise here!