PCB drilling with a dremel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to use "Tinnit" tin plating chemicals that can be purchased from Parts-Express......

Tinnit Tin Plate | Parts-Express.com

It works OK, but smells horrible (like hair perm).

Lately I have been making my own silver plating powder out of silver nitrate, salt, and cream of tartar. Silver nitrate makes one heck of a mess though; getting it on your skin leaves nasty dark stains that can stay there for weeks. If I didn't already have a bunch of silver nitrate I would probably buy some Cool-Amp powder....

http://www.cool-amp.com/cool_amp.html

Last edited:
I have the dremel drill press attachment, which is kinda useful, but not very rigid or accurate, do you guys have any solutions? I mainly use the extension attachment pictured earlier, but wonder if its worth pursuing the dremel for drill press duties, or whether I would just be better off getting a drillpress

I have the Sears version of the Dremel drill press. I don't know how much of a difference there is to the Dremel version (maybe just the name on the sticker). It did take a little bit of gentle modding to get the bits to be perpendicular enough to not break.

A regular drill press doesn't spin fast enough for carbide bits, so you would have to use HSS. My regular drill press also has a bit of "wobble" in the chuck that makes it impossible to use with any really small bits without either breaking them or creating an irregular hole.

A regular drill press doesn't spin fast enough for carbide bits, so you would have to use HSS. My regular drill press also has a bit of "wobble" in the chuck that makes it impossible to use with any really small bits without either breaking them or creating an irregular hole.

I only use the carbide bits in the Grizzly mini-mill. It is sometimes bit inconvenient to use the mill, however, since it takes a bit of time to rig the pcb to the base.

For anyone interested, there's a belt-drive adapter for the Grizzly Mini-Mill from Little Machine Shop which reduces the vibration quite a bit.

Carbide bits, the best solution, but request high speed!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

No handheld, only stand.

This stand is real DIY .

Regards zeoN_Rider

Attachments

• 1111.JPG
    1111.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 63
my 12V drill also has a little wobble in the chuck depending on how you tighten it. I made a constant speed control (increases voltage depending on motor current when the motor is loaded to maintain speed with increased torque. touchy feedback adjustment though, but once set, works wonderfully)

I tighten chuck then adjust speed for the least vibration on drill bit. never broke a carbide bit since then, used down to 0.6mm bits successfully.

Just did a series of six 0.25MM holes with my dremel press before the bit snapped. I have no use for a hole that small though. I think the only reason it snapped was because the bit needs to be 100% perpendicular to the board (which it isn't); the dremel press just wasn't built with that kind of precision in mind.

I get mine from Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor

Size I'm using are:

Drill Size Equiv. Mouser
#55 0.052" 41055
#60 0.040" 41060
#66 0.033" 41066
#69 0.029" 41069
#75 0.021" 41075

and some Drill Size Applications
#55 Phoenix Conn, Rect. Bridge
#60 Zener+1N4004,TO-220,XLR
#66 IC Socket,Header,Small SW
#69 MF Res,TP92,IC Pins,Pot
#75 SMD, Wire jumper AWG30

Have fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.