Toner Transfer Paper Problems - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2011, 03:58 PM   #91
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

who supplies the toner?
Old 27th January 2011, 04:37 AM   #92
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
Sorry to hear the laminator didn't work out.
EDIT: Just out of curiosity, what is the power consumption of the Staples laminator? The H212 is 480W.
Not a big deal. I make an average of a board every 2 - 3 days when I'm 'into' this (which I am now) and, like I said above, it isn't much of a hardship to use the iron.

I didn't notice how many watts the unit was and I returned it the same day. The web site doesn't list the specs either, as far as I can see.
I first let it heat up until the 'ready' light went on, then I left it for about 10 minutes more to see if it made a difference.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:40 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
who supplies the toner?
For my printer? HP printer, HP toner.
I think I need a new one soon - seems that maybe the fuser is starting to crap out and that printer has seen a LOT of action.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:50 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
For my printer? HP printer, HP toner.
I think I need a new one soon - seems that maybe the fuser is starting to crap out and that printer has seen a LOT of action.
All those boards are hard on the toner .. aye !! $70 a pop I am running out as well. My plan is to buy a refill (not HP original ) for 20$ and just use the new $70 genuine for PCB's. I might even try to refill my existing one myself (messy).

If you get a new printer , use the old one as a DIY PCB laminator. I read that the old laser printer fuser will run independant of the printer mounted on a board running on just standard AC. PS , the OEM laminators are junk , I trashed one with just 2 PCB's.

I did get the laminator to work by increasing it's temp to from 160 to 180C(HP toner melting point). This caused the plastic bearings to deform , which really ticked me off. I looked at my HP printer , it has metal bearings and a spring loaded fuser tension adjust ... would make the perfect laminator since it is set for the HP toner natively and could self adjust to various PCB widths.

OS

Last edited by ostripper; 27th January 2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 27th January 2011, 05:10 AM   #95

When I get a new printer, I will look my old one over to see if it is possible to modify it to direct print to the board surface. Maybe a project worth trying, I think.
According to the manual, the printer consumes 380 watts when printing. I'm not sure if that is hotter than the Staples laminator I 'borrowed'.
I read somewhere about doing the transfer in an oven. Sandwich the board and paper between two pieces of thick glass (I think I'd use steel) and squeeze it together with a couple of spring clamps. Heat the oven to 400* and let bake for 20 minutes.

Last edited by MJL21193; 27th January 2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:15 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
I tried the Staples brand laminator ($100) without success. It simply doesn't get hot enough. I ran the board through 4 times and it still hadn't started to stick.

I think I'll stay with the clothes iron. It really isn't much of a hardship and certainly isn't the most unpleasant aspect of the process - cleaning the board is MUCH worse.
I have a $30 generic laminator from Walmart. It works good with my Samsung printer and magazine paper. I have the original Staples paper, but it doesn't work well with my printer. Your HP results look impressive. I will give them a try.
Old 9th December 2011, 03:34 AM   #97
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I have a $30 generic laminator from Walmart. It works good with my Samsung printer and magazine paper. I have the original Staples paper, but it doesn't work well with my printer. Your HP results look impressive. I will give them a try.
What model is that laminator?
Old 14th December 2011, 04:22 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
What model is that laminator?
WMC850HC

It's a generic printer. On mine, the shell was slightly warped, so I need to remove the screws on the back to so that the PCBs can slide through without binding.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:26 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Here's a section of a double sided board I just made. The traces are 15 mil wide. I could easily have used 8. The via pads are 50mil dia. I used a Club Toyata magazine page for the toner transfer. The board was etched with copper chloride, which never needs to be disposed of.

The printer cost $40. The laminator was $30. They already paid for themselves after 2 boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcbcrop2.jpg (54.9 KB, 185 views)
Old 8th February 2012, 02:26 AM   #100
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been using HP LASER PRESENTATION PAPER, Q2546A with good success. By using max ground plane, there is minimum etch area so it lasts longer. I always tin plate to protect the copper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp1c.jpg (157.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg keg-ear18_c.jpg (197.0 KB, 151 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!