Toner Transfer Paper Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
MJL21193, I use Epson Photo Quality Glossy Paper (Part # S041124), it works great for me with an HP LaserJet P1006 and a GBC-H210 laminator.
[/URL]

Hi,
How easily does the paper come off the PCB after ironing? Do you have a pic of one of the boards you made? Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like to make sure that the resolution of the transfer is good before I buy the paper. I'm really picky. :)

I found the HP presentation paper at one place in the US that will ship to Canada - $45 for UPS shipping. Gee, they really want to sell to us up here, right? :dunno:

John, I don't have any pic of a board I've done with the Epson paper but I'm planning on building a UCD amp soon - perhap this or next week . The boards (3 or 4) will be done with this paper and I plan on documenting the process. The paper doesn't just fall off but a nice soak in warm water for ~5-7 minutes will most certainly release the paper from the board. The quality is close to the board you've posted perhaps a tad inferior. BTW: here is a Canadian supplier S041124 - Canada : Epson Paper - Glossy Paper - Letter - 141 G/m2 - 20 Pcs. - Product Details

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
That link:

111.PNG

Nice price.
I order stuff from Digikey and the shipping is $8 if the order is less than $200. If more, it's free shipping. UPS has the order at my door the next day.
Where TF is the disconnect here? Why so much disparity? Any online business that charges more than $20 for shipping or has some BS handling fee is NOT interested in selling. Period.

Sorry about the ** from that link MJL21193. I just did a quick search with the Epson part number and Canada as the search terms; what a rip off! I really thought they would charge $5-10 cnd for shipping.

That link:

View attachment 203949

Nice price.
I order stuff from Digikey and the shipping is $8 if the order is less than $200. If more, it's free shipping. UPS has the order at my door the next day.
Where TF is the disconnect here? Why so much disparity? Any online business that charges more than $20 for shipping or has some BS handling fee is NOT interested in selling. Period.

You can't get this kind of quality with magazine paper:

View attachment 203790

I've tried. That original Staples paper was the bomb. Dude.

Easily , I just comes down to how you iron it (refusing) I know when I have done
it right when my 1 pixel targets etch perfectly. Next round I will post some resolution pix's on some scrap FR-4. (I'll do the dog/mongrel WITH hair :D )

OS

I read an article on how to make your own water soluble transfer 'paper' with some sort of starch?? or something, some household item anyway, i'll see if I can dig up the link, but I do remember it sounded very time consuming.

1 pixel targets hey? even with my 2400dpi xerox color laser? :D

OK, after my post the other day, I tried my toughest board (the Nelson Pass based UGS board) using magazine stock - it failed, pinholes and bad traces.

I went to the web. I made my own release paper by making Dextrin glue and silicone paper. The transfer was terrible; I didn't bother to etch it.

Very frustrated, I went to Staples to buy the HP Glossy laser paper. They were out of stock, but they had a Staples brand paper that looked promising. One of the reams was open, I asked the manager for a piece to try. He offered me the open ream for half price.

I am ecstatic to report this paper is "The One". I printed the UGS pattern. I ironed using the "Linen" setting. I put the board in warm water. Five minutes later, the paper peeled away and left pretty clean traces - much better than any magazine effort has ever yielded. I etched the board (2oz copper) in HCL-H2O2 and the outcome was perfect, and I mean perfect.

This paper is the new king of the Toner Transfer method.

Its Staples item 633215.

Might be worth trying?

aquasol

How Does It Work?
Aquasol® Water Soluble Paper is simply cut to shape, folded and applied with or without an adhesive to the inside wall of the pipe. It creates a barrier for inert gases such as argon and helium. Once the weld is complete, the pipe is flushed with water or steam and the Aquasol® Water Soluble Paper disperses without a trace. No drilling is ever required.

Aquasol® Water Soluble Paper is marketed in Canada by Controlled Products Group. For a distributor near you, or for a demonstration of this product, please call us at: (800) 268-7203 or email us at: mail@controlledproductsgroup.com

rgds
jms

For us in Canada, what appears to be the same HP presentation paper as recommended by theAnonymous1, available at Staples: STAPLES | BUREAU EN GROS

I just tried it and it's 2 enthusiastic thumbs up!

Yeah, that looks like the same stuff (same pic on my package) only it's ever so slightly thinner at 120g/m² vs the 130g/m² of the stuff I have. I doubt it makes any difference though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
slightly thinner at 120g/m² vs the 130g/m² of the stuff I have. I doubt it makes any difference though.

just as you said, this puts the Staples photo paper to shame.
A test print:

NPX_01181.JPG

on anodized aluminum. Not bad at all and released easily. Where it is thin, it could benefit from a sheet or 2 of regular printer paper on top while ironing, to even out the pressure and reduce the possibility of smearing.
I'm pleased and thank you a million! :)

nevermind I get it, the staples laser paper puts the staples inkjet paper to shame? this makes sense, as the grain of the paper has a lot to do with how well the toner attaches to the paper and in particular what resolution is possible before the paper cannot hold it properly and I guess this is where you would get pitting

Last edited:
Staples paper

Hello
I tried similar paper but that thick. When I touched with the iron all stick to the iron..
So be careful because many different Staples paper even similar package.
Top of that these was expensive.
Your paper do you have item number , if yes please let me know!:)
Thank you
Greetings

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 284
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.