Need help to eliminate a voltage selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Pioneer SA-7300 amp that i want to remove it's voltage selector
and add a separate fuse box (the voltage selector has a fuse inside).

I think i know how to do this, but i want to make sure with you guys that
i don't connect it wrong and blow my amp in smoke.

Here is a pic of the voltage selector from the inside (top right corner):
http://www.milkbands.co.il/powermod.jpg

And here is a pic of the amp scheme (voltage selector area):
http://www.milkbands.co.il/powermod2.jpg

I want to lock the amp on 220v and eliminate the voltage selector
and add a fuse box.

Here is what i think i need to do, and im counting on you guys to correct
me if im wrong here:

1. Cut the red wire (3) and the disc cap lead (2) from the voltage selector
and join them together.

2. Connect the red wire together with the disc cap lead together to one
of the two fuse box connections.

3. Cut the white wire (1) from the voltage selector (from what i know it's
the one going to one end of the fuse, because the fuse is in the middle
of the voltage selector).

4. Connect the white wire to the other fuse box connection.

What do you guys think?

Just put glue to paste the mechanism.

Gajanan Phadte

But i want to remove it, im removing all sorts of stuff i don't need, so i want
to fix my amp at 220v.

Why do this? Just write yourself a note "I must not change the voltage selector".

I think the safe answer to your original question is:
If you know what you are doing and can work safely on mains components, do it. Otherwise, don't do it. If you need to ask, don't do it?

In addition to what i said above, i know what im doing (i think i do)
and in such an important area of the amp, i want to make sure 10 times
if needed.

It is not + and -, still AC not DC. The capacitor is either a filter to reduce incoming mains spikes or a suppressor to reduce inductive spikes when the fuse blows.
In addition to what i said above, i know what im doing (i think i do)
and in such an important area of the amp, i want to make sure 10 times
if needed.
I think you have answered my question. If you need help to be sure then you don't know what you are doing. My advice is that you find someone else to do this, who does know what he is doing. That way DIYaudio does not lose a member.

Well im pretty sure i know what im doing.

All my life i learned by doing stuff myself.

You can just confirm this simple task or say im doing it wrong, thats why
i came to this forum, to get help and good advice (which i got plenty so far,
thanks to many great people here).

I doesn't sound right, to ask a technical question in a technical forum
and be told to go to a professional.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It is quite difficult to remotely check someone else's proposed work in a dangerous area on unfamiliar equipment. If I just said "go ahead" and you killed yourself or burnt your house down how do you think I would feel?

Well, you got something there, but still, i got much help showing pics and schemes here on the board, but thanks anyway, i did the job and it went perfect.
I will upload the whole amp modding process pics once i finish everything.

I'm disappointed at the attitudes shown here.
I acknowledge the need to warn the innocent or unwary that real hazards exist, but having done that it's a "put down" to infer that the person seeking help does not know what they are doing.
The golden rule is: It is your specific responsibility with mains supply to always take the greatest care, be sure you have sufficient knowledge to avoid the obvious life threatening risks, & leave your project in a safe condition.
Now that's akin to saying drive a vehicle only when you are sober & licensed surely.
If you don't wish to provide genuine help, please don't respond with warnings only, it will be interpreted as insulting by most members of this forum.

I'm sorry you are disappointed, but safety must come first. My aim was not a "put down", but a "warn off". To encourage someone to do something potentially dangerous, while secretly believing that they may do it badly, shows no respect to the person. I am not familiar with the equipment he has, so I was not in a position to confirm his own understanding or correct it. I note that nobody else offered help either. I am pleased about that, as it shows that people on here are responsible and care more about safety than feelings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.