PCB to PCB connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am after connecting a small PCB (containing LED's for the front panel) onto the main board. The front panel PCB will be at 90degrees to the main board.

Looking at Farnell/RS/Rapidonline (UK) etc theres a fair range.

Is there any recommendations from people using these types of connectors - i was thinking of the feamle been on the main board and right angled male on the smaller front panel PCB.

Cheers

John

I'm not fond of the tin-plated 0.156" pitch Molex connectors, but I think there's gold-plated versions. If so, those should be sturdy and electrically good, and the wide pitch allows for good-sized pads if you're using DIY single-sided boards. You can get right-angled versions so the front panel would just need straight pins (this applies to the 0.1" pitch connectors as well).

If you're going with double-sided and through-plated professionally made boards, then look for 0.1" pitch that has an option for stiffer/tighter contacts.

There's always the headers plus harness option. IDC ribbon cables, or 0.1" pitch wires (but the crimp tools tend to be expensive). Maybe the 0.156" style if you can get them with gold plating; the crimp tools are very much cheaper. I once used machined-pin DIP sockets cut in half, soldering the wires into the "plug" halves and strain-relieving them with RTV. This made sense since the single-sided boards had very small pads, and the socket pins needed much smaller holes than normal header pins.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.