My contribution to this site...if anyone is interested. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 05:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I would love to see what you did, how you did it, and what you produced.

Most of all, I would love to see a well-designed double-blind test showing that your product is clearly better, and repeatedly demonstratively better, than $40 off-the-shelf interconnects.

That would impress me!
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 14th June 2010, 06:06 PM   #12
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Sounds good to me ........ all prepared and ready for the show !!!!
Old 14th June 2010, 06:28 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPreamp View Post
I would love to see what you did, how you did it, and what you produced.

Most of all, I would love to see a well-designed double-blind test showing that your product is clearly better, and repeatedly demonstratively better, than $40 off-the-shelf interconnects.

That would impress me!

That is a tricky thing to maneuver. See, when we buy off-the-shelf IC's...they're already done. Invisible are their workings. Only jargon is available to describe their morphology. For instance, lets imagine a meal already prepared. Looks great, smells great, you know that someone very talented made this meal. You eat it and conclude that it was the most delicious thing that you have ever eaten. Now imagine if would have observed that person preparing the meal from the very beginning. You SEE the fresh, just purchased mahi mahi, or the steak...watching every step of the way as they add fresh ingredients...stirring, heating, steam emanating from the pans...hearing the sizzling...smelling the aroma.

Would your conclusion be different? Would there be a slight bias now compared to before? Sometimes, its the working up to the event that prepares one for the experience, yes?

Thats how I see the nature of off-the-shelf vs. experiencing the genesis of creativity.

For others...this could very simply be **.

lol.

Cheers
Old 14th June 2010, 06:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
I think we'd like to know what measurement regime you used and what scientific background you have to be discussing these topics in detail.

Did you learn it on the web or at MIT?

let's see the cables...
Old 14th June 2010, 06:33 PM   #15
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of people here like to argue about cables, so there is no doubt that no matter what you did you will face heavy criticism. I hope you don't get offended. You see it is already starting and yes it will get much worse.

However, I think most of us would like to see what you did and why because it sounds interesting and involved a lot of work. Maybe we can learn something as well.

Last edited by lgreen; 14th June 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 14th June 2010, 06:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptquark View Post
Would there be a slight bias now compared to before?
Precisely what I would like to see eliminated leaving just reality behind.

I am a DIY'er too and love the experiences as much as the next guy, but when my projects excel on their own merits and not through bias or unfounded claims, am I the most satisfied.
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 14th June 2010, 06:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
I think we'd like to know what measurement regime you used and what scientific background you have to be discussing these topics in detail.

Did you learn it on the web or at MIT?

let's see the cables...
My measurements are based on:

My ears and what they think sounds good. My experience with tons of equipment. My cumulative interest in audiophile goings-on since the age of 12 and the adventures thereafter. The amount of educational material available for free without having to WASTE time in higher education. Even though I do have a degree...in GENERAL STUDIES.

CHeers
Old 14th June 2010, 07:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen View Post
A lot of people here like to argue about cables, so there is no doubt that no matter what you did you will face heavy criticism. I hope you don't get offended. You see it is already starting and yes it will get much worse.

However, I think most of us would like to see what you did and why because it sounds interesting and involved a lot of work. Maybe we can learn something as well.

Well, lets do this then...to save those who may not be interested by my level of expertise some trouble, here is my bio:

Greek (don't shoot)
42, married, 2 kids

1985 - Started in pre-med majoring in Bio, with a minor in Chemistry and Psychology. Four years later...very bored with it. Didn't finish. Started doing research in the fields of Biochemistry and Cytology.

Five years later (1995) got bored with all the political bullshlagen and started working for myself in the used automotive industry. An acquaintance trained me to repaired automotive upholstery (leather and such.) Went back to school but changed universities. I had spent so much time and money that it would have been a waste to not get that piece of paper. So I asked my councelor...WTF can I take to finish this thing as quickly as possible. She said...2 more years, and you can get a General Studies degree and finish. I said HALLELUJAH! I got my degree from Tulane University in New Orleans 2 years later in 2003 in General Studies. Now, on-wards with life again.

In the meantime (back in 1997) my friend built for me my first PC. I WAS HOOKED. I year later (after I got over the phenomenon of "YOU GOT MAIL" I started building the damn things myself. During this time the field of Information Technology was looking appealing. Having been self employed for 5 years, I decided to study for a CISCO certification (CCNA). I did...by myself, with no hands-on OR experience. Three months later, I got it. Then, as I was looking for employment in that field, I decided that having a Microsoft cert. would help me. So after 7 months...I, on my own...with no experience or hands on, attained my MCSE (7 exams).

After a few temp jobs working for various IT Co's, I landed a position as a Desktop Support Tech for Northrop Grumman. Nice. For a while that is. I got more and more interested in networking...then decided that I wanted to be a Network Engineer. I re-certified my CCNA...stated looking for a job...and landed one for Northrop Grumman in another state as a network engineer. My family and I moved.

3 years later I was bored AGAIN. I quit the job.

2006-2008 - very hard to find a job because of the IT slump. Hmm...time to build cables. LOL. I needed something to do while looking for work.

2008-2009 finally got a job as a Network Administrator for Lockheed Martin working at the Stennis Space Center in Ms. for NASA. Nice for a while. Good money. Then the typical scenario took hold...no, I wasn't bored this time. Just tired of IT field. Decided IT was not for me anymore, and that I wanted to go back to science.

Now, I work for Medical Genetic Consulatants...helping to diagnose chromosome abnormalities ranging from fetal conditions like Down's Syndrome to cancers such as lymphomas, myelomas, and other types of bone/blood cancers.

Cool yes?

Now...if my level of technicality is not on par with...whatever...I'm completely comfortable with that.

Plus, I'm too busy to care what certain people think...I have a Gamut amp thats on the blink...and my MMG's covered with scotch tape to worry about. (As can be seen on other DIYAudio threads.)

Real issues.

Cheers

Spiro
Old 14th June 2010, 10:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Wow! Now I REALLY can't wait. (Both to see your product, and to see this thread grow and grow and grow and ...)

So please post your paper...ASAP.
Old 14th June 2010, 11:01 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Now...if my level of technicality is not on par with...whatever...I'm completely comfortable with that.

No worries, you've got ears and motivation........what else do you need?

I'm in the middle of my last course toward my EET diploma after 30 yrs. off and on study. Been in insurance for 23 years because we like a roof and three squares......but might try something new now.....

Let's see those cables

Cheers,
Terry

Hide this!Advertise here!