My contribution to this site...if anyone is interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lol...I cant believe Im turning you guys on to the squidbillies...this is a sad day at DIYA. The Grandma is insane, but Dan Halen takes the cake!

Thanks for the info Benb.

Bear...suddenly I regret making the challenge. DAMN MY INSOLENCE!

BTW...I cant find a good explanation of shunt capacitance anywhere online...either that or I have no idea what Im reading. Damnit I should have studied EE back in the day :(

The voltage is irrelevant.
The issue is shunt capacitance, impedance WRT frequency based on the reactance that the capacitance presents at a given frequency
_-_-bear

With real-world interconnects and circuits, I don't think the math will show any problems.

A worst case scenario from Siegfried Linkwitz:

Cable capacitance 2 nF

If the output impedance from the preamp is 1kohm (high) and the input impedance of the power amp is 10kohm, then the effective impedance is 10k//1k or 910ohm.

With the 2nF cable this gives a lowpass 3dB cutoff frequency of Fc = 1/(2piRC) = 87 kHz, which is still far above the needed frequency range. With a typical capacitance cable the cutoff would be at 350 kHz. If the passive preamp has 10kohm output resistance Fc would still be 70kHz.

Last edited:
I have read posts1 & 10.
I am still lost as to how you arrived at those conclusions.

Hi AndrewT,

One example:

Aptquark is showing us a design that uses a Cu/Ag twisted pair for the signal.

Aptquark claims to have tested all design variations. If I am to take his word for this, then he has at least tested single Cu, single Ag, twisted Cu, twisted Ag, etc.

Therefore, I concluded that to Aptquark's ears, he prefers the Cu/Ag twisted pair over single Cu, single Ag, etc.

the typical input Z is 47kohm or higher, often 100kohm.

it matters a bunch in phono set ups...

and regardless of where the formula says it ends up, it somehow comes out being audible...
at least in my experience.

_-_-bear

phono for sure...my TT had some wires that for reasons I cant remember I replaced with my silver ones. It sounded good...but at some point I wanted to go back to the originals. The TT is an Origin Live, with their propriatery wires. I contacted the distributor in Ca. and he ordered some from OL. They were expensive...to the point where I was flabergasted. Too late though...they were ordered. Once I got them and replaced the silvers...I then realized that it was worth the cost. I never inquired as to their composition...but they are copper/cotton.

Hi AndrewT,

One example:

Aptquark is showing us a design that uses a Cu/Ag twisted pair for the signal.

Aptquark claims to have tested all design variations. If I am to take his word for this, then he has at least tested single Cu, single Ag, twisted Cu, twisted Ag, etc.

Therefore, I concluded that to Aptquark's ears, he prefers the Cu/Ag twisted pair over single Cu, single Ag, etc.
I see now, you are summarising his conclusions.

I read your post as summarising your conclusions.
Sorry for the confusion.

Use quotes to separate your thoughts from the fiction

Basic question; recently purchased a earlier Zu Audio interconnect OxyFuel 1m coax RCA built 2001 I think. Anyway opinions on the use of these solid conductor copper plated steel conductors? I don't believe there still using these style conductors. Any reason other than something significantly better for this purpose, cost no object kind of deal.

"sintered steel core with heavy pure copper deposit platting"

copper coated steel core 75ohm cable is for CATV and other high frequency signaling where skin effect comes into play, for audio I would have thought it is less than optimal, as you want the conductivity of a copper core. These types of cable are not realy for transmitting low frequency audio signals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.