(Newbie) DIY-ing some speakers for my pc - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2010, 10:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default (Newbie) DIY-ing some speakers for my pc

Hi, this is my first thread. I'd like to set up a pc sound system thing and have no idea how to go about it.

Here's what I have...
a pc (onboard audio 5.1 w/ mic in, line out, line in)
4 big speakers with wires coming out of the back ^^ , but no connections on the ends.
an amplifier (haven't got yet, but will be getting a cheap second hand one soon)
a 2.1 speaker set
various cables and connectors

Basically, I want to put all that together and get a surround sound system out of it from my pc.. is that actually possible? if not can i just get it so all of the speakers will work when connected to the amp/pc.

Sorry if that was a bit garbled, I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:30 AM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well... yes. You need to build or obtain 3 stereo or 6 mono power amps. Since the speakers are going to be close to you, you don't need huge power. 5 to 15 watts should be plenty. One possible source is abandoned TVs. Look for a big chip that's mounted on edge with a metal tab or heat sink, near where the speaker leads (and maybe earphone jack) leave the board.

Possibly a more sensible route is to buy a "home theater" amp or amp/DVD combo from a thrift store. Either bypass the digital junk and just use the amps, or use digital out (S/PDIF). I saw one of these for about $25 recently at a thrift store. You may also find such things at yard sales, or abandoned. Presumably a lot of those get chucked out because the power supply or DVD portion dies.

Another, maybe more expensive option... buy an appropriate number of T-amps on eBay. TA2024 as a search term will find a bunch; they're sometimes as cheap as $10 or so shipped, so you might get all 6 channels for $30. Or, just get two, and use those for front and rear left and right. Skip center, since you should be able to configure the sound card for "phantom center", and use a more powerful amp for the subwoofer. For the sub, build a Gainclone, or use one or two channels from a stray stereo receiver, or power a spare car amp from the 12V battery in a UPS.

Hide this!Advertise here!