Am I on the right track?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to be purchasing this Miniwatt N3 tube amp I have my speaker setup all done however I wanted to connect my headphones via a 1/4 jack. They have this headphone adaptor available However I kind of want to build my own unit.

This is where I am at so far.

I want to start with this aluminum project box (I really want the black one but it seems its out of stock)

Die-Cast Aluminum Project Box - 4.37'' x 2.37'' x 1.21'' | BUD Industries | CU-124 (CU124)

On the rear I would have 4 gold plated RCA jacks (color coded)

Gold Plated RCA Chasis Mount Jack With Black Marking | Distributed By MCM

Next on the front I would have my 1/4 jack

Chassis Mount Closed Circuit Stereo 1/4 in Jack

From everything that I read, I pretty much need a step drill bit to drill the aluminum correct? Are there ever any local stores that would do it for you?

Also are any of you familiar with casing that looks close to the headphone adaptor I like how it sits flush :)

Anyways Im just planning things out. Wanted to see if I could put it all together, seems pretty neat :)

Step bits are nice but they are expensive, any drill bit the right size that can drill metal will work.

It can be hard to drill precisely where you want because the spinning bit is going to want to move around a bit. I get good results by using small drill stand, and clamping the piece being drilled.

Coaxial,

You are making a headphone output box?

That connects to the amp's banana jack speaker outputs, not the (input) RCA's. So you don't need 4 RCA jacks, you would use banana jacks. But how are you switching off your speakers when you listen to headphones? If this box is doing it, you need 8 banana jacks ( 4 for L, R in and 4 for L, R speaker out).

You will need some power resistors to reduce the output by a factor of 10-15 and maintain the tube amp's 4/6/8 ohm load. Headphones directly to a power amp are way loud. What is your headphone impedance 8, 25, 600 ohm etc.

I find cast aluminum is hard to work with, I usually use Hammond 1444 series aluminum chassis or Bud boxes for smaller stuff, although they look blah:

BUD Industries Mini Project Bud Box - 3.25'' x 2.21'' x 1.62'' | CU-3001A (CU3001A) | BUD Industries

You aren't making big holes, just for 1/4" connector and banana jacks so a drill works fine and file it to size. The step bits I use for big holes, like tube sockets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.