Mono to Stereo Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new here. I have a (hopefully) easy question about an audio-related project of mine. I hope this is the right forum for this query.

I talk on the phone all day at work and decided to follow a tutorial to make my own headset compatible with the phones at my workplace: Headset adaptor for Cisco IP phone. My first version worked fine, and I just made a new version that allows external sound input as well (from the computer, mp3 player, etc). The only difference is an extra stereo jack and wires going to the headset output. I split the input from the phone line in an effort to preserve the stereo signals but I just noticed that it still mixes the channels. I figure I'll need to add something else in the connection to keep the channels separated. I'm just happy that the thing works (I'm just an idiot with a soldering iron, after all), but if there's an easy way to fix this I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Update... I no longer care about stereo. After testing the thing out for a day, I noticed that the sound input does affect the phone volume. I'm told that I need a capacitor or resistor, but reading about this stuff online doesn't really seem to help me understand how to fix that. I've come across electronics tutorials for newcomers learn basic electronics for free which appears to be useful, but I'm open to other site suggestions and pointers on how to fix the problem.

Thanks for the reply. Here's a diagram I put together. Hopefully it makes sense; I don't think I've put one of these together before except for my own reference:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The stereo adapters shown are the type pictured here. I have in my possession a voltmeter (I understand such devices are indispensable for this sort of thing) but little to no knowledge of how to use it, so idiot-proof advice is more than welcome. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.