DIY Schumann resonator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About the out of phase thing.Looking up bifilar windings I saw a coil winding that goes around in one direction then -at the end -the return continues and winds back down the same direction .By using the return following the same winding route direction you get cancelletion (unless I have it wrong) .So basically if you want to wind your own self cancelling coil you only need a long length of magnet wire , bend it in the middle so you have two strands then start winding with this middle part at one end end and the two strands exiting the other end.I think this is the principle of the helical two winding arrangement we see in krt and acoustic revive products-just that instead of spending extra on a coil they just pcb the thing....

Last edited:
you could easily experiment with a single coil with a core or use a small step down transformer with two mains primary windings wired together in parallel but out of phase as Allen suggested. Both of those options will work and neither cost much to try. The only real advantages to the flat printed coil is that it is light thin and probably does not cost too much. Might be a bit of a trick to wind one of your own but I am sure that you could do so. It might be less effort to make your own printed circuit coil. If you know someone who builds their own pcb's then you are most of the way there.
You might also consider buying the small KTR portable unit as a reference, it is as inexpensive as I have found while looking. The cost is not much over the parts count you are looking at to build a unit of your own. You would be able to compare your own version with both styles of coils to the KTR flat coil and chose the coil style that you like best and then use that in your home unit. Then you would still have a portable unit which would be nice for car rides or movies out. Regards Moray James.

>>I take it then that the flat reverse wound coils have a dipole pattern then?

Not a classic antenna dipole patern at all. It seems to be omnidirectional in the plane of the coil, with "dipole" drop off at right angle.
>How does the size of the coil affect the output?<

Bigger the stronger.

Is this a case where bigger is better?<<

No, becaue too strong a signal become overwhelming and very uncomfortable.

> Do you know the rational behind the square pattern used and will a round pattern work the same?<<

I suspect it's because it's far easier to draw a "square" pattern with straight lines & right angle corners than a continuously concentric circular coil in pcb software.

REgards, Allen

Asking questions can be a good way of learning. There may be others who are following this thread who are interested and others who may be willing to contribute information and answers. I think that you have provided some very useful information here and I appreciate that. The last time I went searching on line to look into Schumann resonance generators I spent a long time looking and did not come up with much to go on. I think that there is a fair amount of info here in this thread which may stimulate people to experiment. Please continue to share what you will Allen.

Depends on who you ask. You ask about scalar wave patterns and most references say they can't be measured by any conventional instruments.

That is convienunt for the sellers of these products, isn't it? I just Googled "scalar wave". As a scifi fan I found some interesting reading. It appears that you don't even need electronics to produce scalar waves.

Scalar-Pendant

Hey Stu thanks for the blast from the past you gotta love Popeye.
Well I ate some spinach and made a little flat wound test coil. I took a thin piece of stiff paper from a standard file folder and cut a piece that was 4 inches square. I marked the centre and placed four strips of 3/8 inch wide acrylic transfer tape on it in a star pattern (a cross and then corner to corners). Then I just spooled off 10 metres of 30 gage magnet wire and folded it in half gave it a twist with a pair of pliers in the centre to get it going in a circle and started to apply it to the paper square (starting in the centre). This gage wire is thin enough for the transfer tape to easily hold it in plase if you burnish the coil with your fingers as you go along winding. The winding is a little fussy until you get the coil up to about 3/4 of an inch in dia. then it gets easier and easier as you go (round and round). Well the bifilar wind in this case about 5 metres long covered about a third of the card very nicely and took about 20 minutes to do. I would guess that you could wind a flat bifilar pancake coil on the 4"X4" card in about an hour (it goes faster as the diametre increases so maybe faster than that). I would figure that a card this size will require about 50 metres of 30 gage magnet wire total length before you fold it in half. I pulled off the wire from the spool and just laid it out on the floor as it would be too difficult to draw from the spool as you go doing this by hand. I have no idea how many turns this translates into but it is a good number. Cost is pretty much just your time and the wire. The coil is neat and flat and more or less round. I should think that a top coat of enamel paint would hold it together fairly well and if you thinned the paint out and gave the back side of the paper card a wet coat after the top coat of paint on the coil had dried then it ought to soak through the thin card stock and bind up the back side of the coil next to the paper as well. I would think that it should be a fairly stable coil after all that and if it is in a plastic project box not being bothered it should get the job done pretty well. Cheaper than a pcb and almost free when compared to a transformer. Hope that this is of interest and just a little bit inspirational to those who were wondering about building a flat coil. It was not hard to do as I thought it might be just a little time consuming.

I told my friend with one of the Schumann resonator boxes about my 4 inch bifilar coil and he volunteered his unit for test purposes. I took the coil and the unit to a buddy's place this evening and we installed the new coil. Output wave form looked the same on the scope with either coil. The new coil would appear to have about 5 times the number of turns as the stock coil. Then we dropped it off at the owners home and he will report his findings after a few days of listening to it with his system. He has been running the stock unit for some time so I figured he would notice if there are any subjective differences between the two coils.
Just a note here on finishing off the coil. I gave the finished coil a wet top coat of spray paint to bond the wires in place this was a bit of a mistake as the solvent in the paint softened the grip of the double sided tape that I used to hold the coil in place. I was able to smooth things out pretty much so not an issue. If I had applied several very light coats first I am sure that the coil would have stayed perfectly flat as wound. Just an experience pointer to those who may wish to try out this kind of home made coil.
The 4 inch (10 Cm) coil required approx 35 metres of 30 gage wire which was less than what I had thought that I would need. Will post the owners comments at the end of the week.

Well my friend responded today and feels that the output of his device now fitted with the four inch bifilar coil would seem to be at least double in intensity compared to the placement distance the non modified unit had to be for a similar effect. He seemed to think that the larger coil may have a more pronounced effect than the stock coil had regardless of placement. My guess is that it is just putting out more signal. He seems quite happy and I get the impression that this means I need to invest another hour of my time if I want to have one of these coils for myself. I plan on building a conventional magnetic coil to try out in this unit so we can see what the comparison is between the Scalar bifilar coil and a magnetic coil are.
This unit (don't know the name) does not have a driver stage or buffer between the oscillator and the coil and this is most likely what was causing the wave form distortion which we noticed on the scope. The Kelly unit and the Syncronizer are both said to have pure sine waves at the coil connection and that is worth knowing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.