DIY Schumann resonator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps for us the point may be that we do not have to get exactly 7.83hz to get desired effects.

I have always assumed this much. As the ionosphere varies in height, a precise frequency seems unnecessary although making it user adjustable is probably important.

Not sure if i buy any of this New Age mumbo-jumbo anyway and suspect that the effect is entirely electrical. One of the reviews contains an interesting supporting experiment. The reviewer made recordings with the generator being both on and off and subsequently they sounded different.

CD player used as generator - step 2

I made some changes on my CD player used as a Schumann resonator to keep 2V RMS on output with 600 ohm load.
One output is directly wired to the output AOP (3V DC output), the other integrates a 100uF electrolytic capacitor to suppress the DC value. With 600 ohm load the output is about 3% lower with serial output capacitor.

I start CD player as Schumann resonator and perform a listening test comparison (listening audio system with various configuration on Schumann resonator). The direct output (including DC value) gives better results. After this first test, I made standards optimizations on the Schumann CD player by managing vibration.... Each improvements, improves rendering on listening audio system. It seems that more Schumann resonance steady and clean better results are.

I have also listened to a unit based on a 555 and a coil. In fact two units with minor differences in construction - one used a toroidal mains transformer. The effect was immediately audible and both units sounded distinctly different. Not sure if i really liked what it did but the mere audibility really impressed me. Could the effect be due to EMI?

It match with comparing test made by analog_sa on comparing power transformer on Schumann resonator.

Last edited:
I am told that the Kelly Research Technologies device mentioned above generates a sine wave at 7.83 Hz. rather than a pulsed output. Coverage on the small battery operated portable pocket unit is about a 3 ft radius. The larger unit will cover several large rooms in a house and is equipped with both an external wall wart power supply as well as an adapter for use in a car.

From KRT:
"Since this frequency is below the level of typical human hearing, the 7.83 Hz BETAR Tone is reproduced not with an audio speaker, but with Peter J. Kelly’s version of the field multiplying bifilar coil first patented by Tesla in 1894."

Can someone explain?

Although this sounds like nonsense to me, I'd encourage anyone interested to experiment.

After all, nobody ever learned anything by refusing to look at things they didn't already understand.

The choice of waveform depends on which (if any) harmonics are desirable. For example a pure sine wave contains only the fundamental frequency, whereas a square wave will include odd harmonics (but not even). IIRC, a saw-tooth waveform includes all the harmonics.

Perhaps some experimentation with different waveforms is in order?

For anyone not too keen on electronic design and soldering, free synthesizer software is available for PCs which should do the job nicely.

E.g. with Synfactory (download here: Syntiac pages - SynFactory), it's easy to play tones of very low frequency through the computer's loudspeaker or headphone outputs, with several choices of waveform.

Cheers - Godfrey

Isn't the 7.83Hz supposed to be electrogravitational instead of mechnical or electromagnetic?

If the other 2 elements come into play it would be hard to tell if the (desirable?) effect is due to scalar waves or something else. Like how this effect can be recorded by a mic and played through speakers, for example (post #42).

From KRT:
"Since this frequency is below the level of typical human hearing, the 7.83 Hz BETAR Tone is reproduced not with an audio speaker, but with Peter J. Kelly’s version of the field multiplying bifilar coil first patented by Tesla in 1894."

Can someone explain?

So why speakers are even mentioned in the first place is my question.

Last edited:
Protos if you take a look at the Kelly site you will see a photo of the antenna that they use which is a rectangular double wound circuit much the same as that shown in the Acoustic Revive. Two windings parallel but driven out of phase same idea as suggested by Allen with the two coil transformer or a core with two bobbins wound one on top of the other. As long as the two coils are driven out of phase to each other.

Isn't the 7.83Hz supposed to be electrogravitational instead of mechnical or electromagnetic?

Electrogravitational??? The marketing guys would kill for a term like that. Does it have a meaning for mere mortals?

So why speakers are even mentioned in the first place is my question.

I wouldn't put too much importance into this. It's probably for the few technically advanced customers who know that such frequencies are not audible. Luckily the human body is sufficiently evolved to directly receive electromagnetic waves. Or was it scalar waves?

Apparently Kelly Research's site targets your everyday vanilla moron and the product is respectively priced. The audiophile type moron, otoh, has clearly more disposable income and is thus paying double.

I am not saying that the generator is inaudible, it seems to work but for entirely different reasons than the New Age **.

Generating a nice sine is also trivial but probably the best solution is indeed to feed the output of a sound card into a small amp which in turn drives a coil and see if the effect is worth it. As for designing an actual unit i would probably still use a microcontroller due to the flexibility. In the past i've obtained a pretty good sine out of an 8-bit device using a look-up table in rom and a resistor R2R dac with minimal filtering. I guess even 5 bits will be enough in this case which will allow the use of a cheap 8-pin microcontroller. A chip amp will provide magnitudes more power than the output of a 555 which will guarantee good sound for all my neighbours and predispose them to meditation.

Last edited:
on the topic of of scalar wave radiation Vs magnetic wave radiation, a chap in the UK who manufactures these devices tells me that he has built identical units which differ only in the antenna coil. One with a two coil scalar version and one with a single (magnetic) coil. He tells me that there is no difference between the two units in terms of how they feel or the perceived effect on audio and video. His units use a sine wave to drive the (magnetic) coil.

Lol.

I think the theory behind the effects should be put aside for now (since the effect of scalar wave is being challenged in the above post).

Let the adventurers finish reverse-engineering this thing (whatever it's supposed to be called) and have them be tested by unsuspecting individuals who think it's bought for $400.

Not to forget the common audiophile assumption that anything you do somehow always make it sound better instead of worse.

Protos: it would seem after 59 posts that you were on a good track to begin with. The function generator kit you were looking at would seem to be a very good choice for this project. You can set it to generate a sine at 7.83 Hz (or any other freq. you wish to experiment with) and then use it to drive either a single coil for a magnetic wave or a dual coil for a scalar wave. Why not experiment with both kinds of coils and report back.

wwenze: no one is challenging anything here. The post simply expressed the opinion on coil types by someone who has direct building experience with both styles of coils. I don't want to reverse engineer anything. Products that are on the market are the property of those who worked and spent money to do R&D and market their product. How would you feel if you owned that product? If people wish to design a device and then share it out of good will publicly that is a different matter. You don't seem to want to contribute anything of real value to this thread and the higher than thou attitude of you and others here does not say much for your spirit of diy either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.