DJ Booth Project. First Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey I just started DJ'ing and I wanted to build a booth for my system and was wanting some help. I was thinking about putting speakers in the booth in a design. There will be a design cut into the booth and plexi behind that. The speakers will be attached to the plexi. I was wondering if this is even a good idea and if it is what speakers would be good. I dont have any experience in audio equipment and would like some advice. I drew up 2 3d views of what it will look like. Let me know if its hard to understand whats going on.

3D View
3DViewofDJBooth.jpg

Section View
SectionofDJBooth.jpg

hah, I'm a DJ too. built myself something similar a couple years ago. my design is 6' wide by 2' deep by 3'-2" tall. It's just wide enough to fit a nice 4 channel mixer, 2 turntables (in battle style) and 2 CDJs with some wiggle room on the ends. I would suggest leaving space for the speakers on top or above the tables and not in them. If it's for home use, it's more important that you can hear the music rather than project it. So, figure out the size of your speakers and leave room. I have small monitors, so the 2' depth is enough for them, but if they were any more substantial I'd need stands. I would also suggest some shelves underneath. One shelf about 6" below the top is good enough to house your amplifier (I'd suggest a Crown for home use) and any other miscellaneous **** you'll accumulate. You could then add another shelf about 14"-16" below that for records. Add intermediate support since records and equipment are heavy and add up quickly. 3/4"-1" MDF sheet should be plenty.

As far as wiring the thing together, leaving a 2"-3" grommet (a hole) in the top will allow you to string the wires down into the amp and whatever else you house inside. Most of that **** is pretty straight forward and doesn't require any hardwiring.

Leave room for flexibility. Your equipment will likely change over the years as you upgrade. Not sure if you're using vinyl, cds, serato, or whatever, but leaving open the option for any of this equipment is important so you don't have to modify the thing later.

Thanks for the advice. And I have 2 technics, a shitty mixer, and serato. I plan on getting better before I upgrade my mixer. At first I bought some speakers (cant remember the name of them) but they were like 160 a piece. I took them back because I needed the money. I was hoping that if I built them then it would be a lil cheaper. The reason I was puttin the speakers attached to the plexi was pure asthetics...i think that would of looked bad ***. But like I said I dont know much about the audio side of everything and have just started researching everything. If I made my own speakers would I need both Full range and mid range speakers? I figured full range would cover everything since it has a built in tweeter but wasnt sure if having mid range speakers as well would increase the sound quality enough to make it worth it.

I don't know anything about building speakers either, but keep in mind that it's for home use (I'm assuming). So you just need to hear it, preferably well of course, but power is not a major concern since you really only need to project the sound about 3'. Hell, these days I do most of my home DJing through my headphones and don't bother even turning on my speakers. But my walls are thin and I'd prefer to **** off my neighbors as little as possible...

I made up a pair of booth monitors recently. They are to go with a 5k rig so need to be fairly loud. The thing about booth monitors is that they are used close range so you don't really want horns. You will see many commercial DJ booths in venues using powered plastic speakers with long throw horns. These are far from ideal.

Iv'e used a P-audio 10" driver and a couple of 4" mids with a super tweeter. They work very nicely and are also very useful for small house parties.

col.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.