How do I open a can?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to open this OCXO without damaging it. It is a metal can soldered around its edge. The size is about 2" x 2". Any recommendations welcome.

Attachments

• OCXO.jpg
    OCXO.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 320
Heat... well, this is the problem. The big mass of the enclosure conducts away the heat from the tip of my soldering iron. Perhaps a gas torch would do, but I am afraid that I damage the internals...

Back in the day, I worked for a company that manufactured crystal oscillators like the one you have. To seal the cans, we used a very large soldering iron (I believe they were 250 watt Wellers). It was the largest pencil type iron I have seen to date. To open it, we used a saw (dremel tool with abrasive disk will work) around about 3/8-1/2 inch above the bottom of the can to saw the top part off. The remaining part of the top can can then be removed by alternating heat with the iron and movement of the remaining piece(s).

Heat... well, this is the problem. The big mass of the enclosure conducts away the heat from the tip of my soldering iron. Perhaps a gas torch would do, but I am afraid that I damage the internals...

This is why you need to use a hot plate, and work quickly!~ a really large soldering iron will be ok, but a small torch will allow more heat exactly where you need it. The worst thing is not using enough heat ie taking too long to work it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.