How to paint over brushed aluminum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a DCX2496, do you? It is a brushed aluminum finish with a thin coat of clear lacquer to stop oxidization. Understand?
The purpose of the steel wool is not to take the lacquer off, it's to prep it for a new coat of paint. Anyone who knows anything about doing this would recognize what I am saying.

Belt sander...:rolleyes:
Best to say nothing if the advice you bring is not only useless but also harmful.

Let's be literal all the time and get angry too??

How do you know there is no anodize coat on the aluminum?
How do you know that is "lacquer" and not a UV cure epoxy or urethane material on top?

Obviously I know nothing about anything, that's settled.

As far as painting "stuff" - paint sticks in general, the less it is touched and the less it is moved, and the less it is subjected to heat, cold, moisture the longer a random coat of paint will still look good. Random paint = random results.

Whatever... may your dynamic range forever be large. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Let's be literal all the time and get angry too??
You mistake irritation for anger. Your dismissive remark annoyed me, literally.

How do you know there is no anodize coat on the aluminum?
How do you know that is "lacquer" and not a UV cure epoxy or urethane material on top?

I know it isn't anodized because (A) the colour - anodized aluminum is a different colour than brushed, clear coated aluminum and (B) anodizing doesn't wipe off with lacquer thinner.
I know it is "lacquer" - see (B) above. Actually it may be a urethane based coating but I doubt it. Urethane has better resistance to chemical attack than catalyzed lacquer but it takes longer to cure and costs more. Process of elimination.

Obviously I know nothing about anything, that's settled.

You don't seem to know much about the front panel of the DCX2496. Have you even seen one?
You emailed me several months back with an uppity lecture and that left a bad taste in my mouth. Drifting through here as if everyone else is waiting for your advice and dismissing others out of hand calls for a response. I assume from your reaction that you don't feel that sting too often - it can instill humility, something that seems to be lacking.

Thanks for explaining how you determined that it is lacquer.

If I wrote to you a few months ago about your attitude, there was probably a reason. Maybe you were being irritating? Nah.

Have I ever seen Behringer gear? Is that your question?

As far as "floating through here" I try to help if I have what i think is useful or good information. If I did not respond to someone's request for information or a response, please let me know? Often there are "behind the scenes" discussions - for a variety of reasons - and the response does not get posted. Often it is because others answer it or it doesn't really pertain to someting of general interest or to the thrust of the thread.

Lessee I joined in 2002... you? Floating?

if ur getting irritated over a thread about painting a Behringer box, I would suggest altering your caffiene intake, or whatever else it takes? It just isn't worth it.

_-_-bear

btw, you suggested that anodized aluminum is a different "color" than "brushed clear coated aluminum" Are you certain of this? Have you ever seen anodized aluminum that is bright and shiny like polished and clear coated aluminum? Not all anodize process causes aluminum to become dull or matte... fyi.

Maybe you knew this.

_-_-bear

Anodizing can be any color. The color is determined by the dye you use, and if no dye is used the anodizing will look like plain old aluminum.
A face plate would be pretty easy to mail I would think. If you want it powder coated PM me and I can do it for you for nothing. I have a really rich looking satin black you might like. Otherwise I also have anything from flat to a wet looking gloss.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
and if no dye is used the anodizing will look like plain old aluminum.

Only to someone who isn't actually looking. Anodized aluminum is a different shade of silver than raw aluminum. Brushed and clearcoated aluminum is a much different shade of silver than raw or anodized aluminum. No dyes involved.
I have finished aluminum (even did some halfassed adodizing) and the difference is easy to see (if you are looking) :)

I should have been more clear, and yes MJL clear anodize does alter the color a bit. A lot of people seem to think anodize is black because that's what they are the most familiar with. Anodize is nothing more than a microscopic layer of aluminum oxide which is a milky white. It's so thin when anodizing that it becomes translucent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.