Switching off amplifier (dumb question inside)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So fellas, I just thought about the following design "feat" of the amp I'm going to build. The power switch turns on the mains to the transformer which in turn powers the rest of the amp. Say I have like 50000µF of caps in the power supply. Now if I switch off the amp, the mains get cut off BUT there is still plenty of charge inside the caps that may continue to power the amp for quite a while. How can I get rid of this? I want the amp to be dead silent when I turn it off.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You should always have a bleeder across the supply caps. A bleeder is a large resistor that will drain the charge off the supply caps. Calculate the resistor following ohms law to ensure a current through the bleeder of about 10 mA.

To avoid the turn-on/off pops, use a relay on the speaker connection. Siemens makes some good ones. As does Omron. Look for one that can switch 10~20 A with gold or silver-nickel contacts.

~Tom

I'd suggest you look at the possibility of using input mute as well.

Then you have a number of options that can be added later.
DC detect, triggering the input mute.
Higher voltage dc detect triggering the output relay with latch that requires operator action to unlatch, eg switch off power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.