University Design, Help! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! Im new to the forum, and in need of some help, I am studying for a Bsc in design.

One of the thing I have to design is a speaker enclosure for an ipod dock. We have been given the speakers and power source.

Only 2 speakers are allowed. Here is the stats:
Loudspeaker Type: Woofer (340M)
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm
Resonant Frequency: 120Hz
Usable Frequency Response: 120Hz – 16kHz
Nominal Power Handling: 10W
Music Power Handling: 20W
Sensitivity (SPL): 88dB/W/0.5m
Chassis Shape: Round
Chassis Diameter: 78mm
Magnet Housing Diameter: 70mm
Driver Depth: 40mm
Cone Diameter: 62mm
Fixing Centers: 4 x 3.5mm Ø holes at 90° intervals on a 84mm Ø Circle​
Baffle Cut Out: 78mm

I am trying to get the best sound out of them as possible, as sound quality is going to be a part of the criteria. Can anyone here point me in the right direction of size of enclosure and if it should be ported or not!

Thanks, Richard

hello.
do you have a datasheet of this driver?
you need thiele small parameters (free air resonant frequency,Vas,Qms,Qes.....).
with the datas you can determine an enclosure.
if you have built the box you can tune it with a small crossover (probably a rlc network for the midband..........).
greetings

If you want to extract the best sound from the ipod, it is worth using the line out port of a proper dock, or using a cable like this, that is if you can adjust the volume of the power source?

LOGIC3 MIP142 iPod to 3.5mm Stereo Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I was looking at making a portable boom box, and thought about making it resemble the B&W zepplin, however using a plain skateboard deck, as most a maple plywood, have a slightly curved baffle, and very strong. If your good with a jigsaw or have access to a CNC, you could easily cut U shapped ribs/braces to create a former for the rear and include port holes if needed and even handles. Could even horn load it.

iPod Speakers – Apple iPod Docking Station Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

My thinking was to create something quite striking, similar to Thomas Heatherwicks buildings

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

beach_cafe.jpg

Good Luck. Post pictures.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Presumably it will not be judged on its low bass performance? I say make things easy on yourself and keep the box sealed (and don't stress about the exact volume). Unless you really know what you're doing and know the specs for the driver, then maybe open baffle. But it's an 'industrial design,' ie styling project, right? Can you elaborate?

The fundamentals of 'best sound' dictate to make the speaker LOCATION as 'perfect' as possible, so symmetrically located on the listening axis (where the ears are) and with as much free space around the cabinet as possible. But as far as the shape of the cabinet is concerned, there's nothing new under the sun (or is there)?

(I like the laminations idea as well, Studio Au.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.