Very, very inexpensive aluminum cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I needed a box in which to put my new Pete Millet amplifier -- I have a Denon CD player of 1987 vintage which had gone wonky and sat on the basement floor. The thing had an aluminum top, but the carcase and front panel were ABS.

I found that you can trim aluminum flashing with a "Roto-Trimmer" -- the kind used in a darkroom -- these are pretty readily available now that wet chemistry is out of fashion. The Roto-Trimmer allows very precise and square cuts.

With the flashing cut to fit I roughed up both the cd player front panel and the aluminum with 120 grit sand paper, cleaned the aluminum with MEK, dried and epoxied it -- haven't yet gotten to painting (there's some dupont auto body lacquer around here somewhere). Here's the process:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.