Extremely basic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, rank novice here. Don't even know where the best place is to post this but here goes. My goal is to make use of the extensive wiring and built in speakers throughout the house we just bought. There are about 12 rooms with built in speakers and all the wiring terminates in one room (along with video wiring but that is another story). There are volume controls in each room and also infra red recievers with wiring up to the control room. The previous owner also left behind a Niles Audio IRZ-6A unit.

To start with I think I need a high level description of the parts I need to make this system work. I have a feeling this will be an interesting project.

Ward

It depends what level of complexity of services you intend to provide.

You have 12 rooms. You could set out to make it possible for each room to have an independent program material source. This would require, say, 12 AV receivers with built-in disk drives and amplifiers, antenna splitters and remote control relaying.

Alternatively you could have a single program source, 1 stereo amplifier and wire up the speakers in series-parallel with perhaps some crude volume control for each room.

It's really all about the level of your ambition for the system. Before you decide this you might want to make a realistic assessment of the value of the existing installation. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

w

I'd like to be able to use a cd player, fm radio, mp3 player or my computer as a source and be able to use 2 or 3 sources at the same time with dynamic routing to different rooms. Let's start with that and add or pare down as required by pocket book and degree of difficulty. Separate volume controls and speakers are already installed as well as the wiring.

As far as the value of the installation goes, how do I determine that?

To be more specific: How many pairs of speakers can I expect to be able to run from one amp? Does the length of the speaker wire run make any difference? Am I going to have to climb up in the attic to get a look at the back side of the speakers to see what their ratings are since I have no idea what make/model they are and they don't appear to be accessible from the front side?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.