Help- Screw turning in speaker mounting hole - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2009, 06:03 PM   #1
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help- Screw turning in speaker mounting hole

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble getting out the top two screws from my 8" driver. The screws keep turning in their hole. They don't slide out, and they are not getting screwed in anymore either. They just keep turning.

I've tried turning the cabinet in all directions. Tried ejecting them with helper screwdrivers. Nothing is working.

I had used the hurricane nuts from PE on the back side of the baffle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 20th December 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Can you pull another driver and get at them that way?

If not, pull the screws you can and use your helper screwdriver on the flange of the driver close to the screw. Pry out so as not to bend the flange but enough to create friction on the nut flange.
Old 20th December 2009, 07:23 PM   #3
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Cal! Tried prying it, but I can't get any traction on the hurricane nut. It is rotating with the screw. I have a fairly large opening down in the bottom. This is a folded voight pipe cabinet. I can get my hand through the bottom opening but I can't get it to the nut from the inside.
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like once you get the speaker out of the way, the bolt would be easy to extract from the rear, if it had no head.

Got Dremel? A carbide cutoff wheel in your Dremel would shave the head off the screw. Grind away the head and pull the speaker off over it. Then pull the nut/screw out the back. If your speaker is OK and to be reused, then apply liberal tape around the screw head to help protect the finish on the speaker flange.

You could chuck a small cutoff wheel into a power drill motor if you lack a Dremel. A lack of Dremel tools is a sure sign of civilization passing you by.

Looking at the pictures, hurricane nuts appear to be like T-nuts without the teeth. If your hole strips, those tiny barbs have nothing to catch. Look up "T-nuts" at PArts Express to compare. For future reference.

Hide this!Advertise here!