Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2009, 10:35 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi,

thank you for your suggestions. I had no problems in the past with cheap RCA jacks (it was very intuitive). I verified on the net that most of the "expensive" connectors are shaped like the Cardas RCA I have, with a slot that I also assume is the place where the ground should be soldered. But I found very difficult to allow for the screwing of the connector cap.

Renato
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:52 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,

just to tell you that a more careful read of the Cardas web site already gives the official answer. Quoting from the Cardas web site:

Quote:
Q.) Greetings! I just bought 2 meters of Crosslink II interconnect cable and 2 pairs of AGMO RCAs. I just want to inquire how is the proper way of connecting the RCAs to the cable? - Thanks, Ran

A.) Ran, First you must tin the ends of the two Litz conductors. This is best done with a solder pot, but it can work with a very hot solder iron and some patience. Once the wires are tinned on both ends you solder the hot wire to the center pin at each end, then the ground wire to each RCA body at both ends. Last, you solder the shield to the body of the RCA at the source end only.

Some times it's easier to just wrap the shield and the ground wire together at the source end. Cardas RCA plugs tend to need more heat for the solder to flow. The best place to solder the ground is directly under or on the side of the bridge. - Brian
It seems that my problem is that I have not a sufficiently hot solder or... a sufficient patience

thank you again

Renato
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:17 PM   #13
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Exchange it for a nice Neutrik instead?

Well, that one you pictured solders like a PL-259 RF connector... you trim and tin the centre conductor and shield, insert, then solder through the slot.

Cheers!
These are very nice, i just ordered many pairs

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,

just to complete the information; I got an answer from the Cardas support, see the attached picture

Renato
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRCM6 copy.jpg (84.6 KB, 135 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!