Soldering Cardas 5 pin connector for Phono cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have any helpful hints about how to solder wire to the Cardas male and female 5 pin din connectors? Trying to make decent cables for standard Audio-Technica and Grace type tonearms, etc...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have tried to research this without much luck. Any advice?

Many thanks,

Just put it a vice of some kind that will simply hold it. Use your soldering iron, go one post a presolder each tab, make sure you take your time, do not want to melt platic!, then, presolder each wire before connection. after all connections have a solder joint, you can simply hold the wire to post untill it melts, blow on or just dont move your connection untill cooled, give a few minutes between doing this untill finished! I highly suggest shrink wrap tubing, as the connections are so close. Just make sure the heat shrink is on the wire about 6" above before you do that last step, solder to solder, then wrap it.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just put it a vice of some kind that will simply hold it. Use your soldering iron, go one post a presolder each tab, make sure you take your time, do not want to melt platic!, then, presolder each wire before connection. after all connections have a solder joint, you can simply hold the wire to post untill it melts, blow on or just dont move your connection untill cooled, give a few minutes between doing this untill finished! I highly suggest shrink wrap tubing, as the connections are so close. Just make sure the heat shrink is on the wire about 6" above before you do that last step, solder to solder, then wrap it.

Helpful to have a bit of liquid solder flux around to touch up the joints with too.;) Liquid Flux : Store @ CuriousInventor.com

Thanks. Those photos were stolen from the cardas website. I actually have only the male pin to mate with a Grace tonearm. Where I am really struggling is with the mechanical connection between the wire and the pin. Without a hole or a cup or a slot, I am sort of lost when it comes to a "best practice." My sense from reading around the web is to pre-solder the fine-gage wire, tin the pin with solder, then wrap the fine wire around the pin a few turns for stability. Holding the part steady in a vise, of course...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks. Those photos were stolen from the cardas website. I actually have only the male pin to mate with a Grace tonearm. Where I am really struggling is with the mechanical connection between the wire and the pin. Without a hole or a cup or a slot, I am sort of lost when it comes to a "best practice." My sense from reading around the web is to pre-solder the fine-gage wire, tin the pin with solder, then wrap the fine wire around the pin a few turns for stability. Holding the part steady in a vise, of course...

There should be cups to solder the wires to according to the mechanical drawing at Cardas Audio http://www.cardas.com/images/oem/PDF_DRAWINGS/MDIN.pdf.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Perhaps these will be of help?
Cardas Audio

Cardas Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.