How to treat MDF edges? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2010, 04:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi there, I thought I should give a little update.
The idea of mitred corners is good but I already had the panels ordered and there not designed for mitring. Besides I do want to have chamfered edges anyway in order to avoid sound diffraction, therefore there will always be exposed mdf edges.
I thought and tested edging of the same material as the veneer i.e. teak. This works well on flat edges but it's a difficult job to apply edging on chamfers and the results of my work would be bad to the eye. Another problem with edging is that applying it on ordered panels (designed for no edging) results in change in dimensions which means that the panels won't fit correctly together (especially problematic with thick edging).

The solution?
I am applying clear varnish on both exposed mdf edges and the teak veneered panels. I have only tested it on a small part of the speakers and the result is great. Much better than you might think.

I am using satin clear varnish and 2 coats on the teak veneer and 3 coats on the mdf edges. This gives a good result which the edges becoming slightly darker than the veneer but the contrast is actually good. I tried coloured varnish on both but the result was not so good, too dark for my liking and too patchy if varnish is not applied correctly (forget brushes, even with pads there were problems).

So there you have it. Clear satin varnish works well on teak veneer and mdf edges.

I am currently building the speakers so I will post pictures once finished.

Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!