Build your own case - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2009, 09:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I prefer to use PC cases as they come with cut outs for mains sockets and fans mountings. For what they are the yare usually very cheap.

I use the desktop cases so I can sit a mixer on top.

Attempts at my own cases always ended up needing expensive punches etc. so I gave up.
I am hoping to detail how a careful and patient person can make cases without the expensive tools. It can be done.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:02 PM   #12
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Default Chain Drilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Attempts at my own cases always ended up needing expensive punches etc. so I gave up.
Hi nigel, I too had problems with making the cutouts that is until I tried the method of chain drilling and filing. Basically you mark the hole you want to cut out. then with a small diameter drill drill many holes close together, then using a needle file (or fine wire cutters) remove the material between the holes giving a bigger hole. Finally file out using appropriate small files until the hole is the size you need.

Attached are a few images. Not the best choice as what I thought I needed wasn't (ie I thought I needed a simple round hole) and the ending hole doesn't look like what it started out as, but it will give you the general idea

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0523.jpg (98.1 KB, 1108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0524.jpg (108.3 KB, 1090 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0525_crop.jpg (20.7 KB, 1079 views)
Old 21st November 2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dunlap View Post
If you use AutoCad I can post my files. You can probably redraw them much faster than I could. I'm pretty slow these days since I can't use my hands.
Sorry, can't help you out. I have Solid Works and Qcad. Neither of those, are all that happy communicating with Autocad.

Magura
Old 21st November 2009, 04:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

That's OK. I will work on it.

I would like to link to this thread also. Some good points are made here.

Square holes in aluminium...
Old 21st November 2009, 05:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Magura,

Is this more to your liking?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3D View.pdf (101.9 KB, 384 views)
Old 21st November 2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Much better. A drawing like that, requires no technical background to understand.

I usually make drafts like that when explaining beginners how to do something.

You need to get yourself a young apprentice, then you will be reminded of what's not obvious

Magura
Old 21st November 2009, 06:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

If already mentionned, just pass...

The simplest way to make a case is to directly screw plates on the heatsinks.
No more parts are needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case1.JPG (21.9 KB, 1030 views)
Old 21st November 2009, 08:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You need to get yourself a young apprentice, then you will be reminded of what's not obvious
Good idea, but I no longer work.
Old 21st November 2009, 08:38 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodioulasso View Post
If already mentionned, just pass...

The simplest way to make a case is to directly screw plates on the heatsinks.
No more parts are needed.
If already mentioned? There are only 16 post to read through so far. That hasn't been mentioned yet. I had to start somewhere, and I wanted to present as many options as possible. That can work if you already have two heat sinks and they are the length you need to provide the case depth you want. What if you wanted to put the heat sink on the back?
Old 21st November 2009, 08:42 PM   #20
fotios is offline fotios  Greece
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up At least! Steve, bravo for your initiative!

This is an extremely useful thread, which was a serious lack in diyAudio forum. Some of you, you are members of M.O.A.N. society like me. The vast majority of threads in this forum is consumed in theoretical approximations and discussions, which in the best case end-ups in PCB implementations. I have a different option. There are hundreds of ready offered circuits. The only that we have to do, it is to select one of them as is or to make combinations-modifications of different of our liking, to enclose in a case. IMHO, the external appearance of a project it is equivalent with the circuit used inside. A nice-looking case it is a must for this.
Probably, you have seen some of my projects in "Post your solid state pics thread" in which i have posted as well pics of my tools. I spent around 1200 euro to buy ready tools, or to make some by myself. This time i am in the process of building one power amplifier and one preamplifier from the scratch, and i have started from the construction of cases which is the dirty work. From luck i looked in this thread started from Steve, and i thought that it is a good chance to contribute as i have the cases of projects in the process stage... you know: sketch on the paper, measuring of dimensions, cutting and drilling, some corrections etc.
I attach some pictures of the chassis of amplifier assembled off-hand for confirmation of precision of cutting, bending and drilling; i will attach separate pictures of each part during disassembling. I hope to will be consistent in my promise, because i must to deliver the two projects in my customer in one month to get some money for celebrating Christmas like all the Christians; and above all to fill the oil-tank of my central heating, because the strong cold starts in December at Greece, and my mother is 78 years old! I have spent already my customer's advance of 400 euro in my dentist. I ask your comprehension in the case of delayed replies because the above. You should know that this is the only job which i have for living. OTOH, i will take shots of each stage of construction to post later with explanations.

Fotios
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan25.jpg (309.3 KB, 1030 views)
File Type: jpg Scan26.jpg (323.5 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Scan27.jpg (323.7 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg Scan28.jpg (353.0 KB, 354 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!